Marc Chagall Lithograph

Discussion in 'Art' started by TheAntiqueHobbit, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hey everyone! I'm back under a slightly different name following my last account glitching and not letting me post any additional media. As usual, I'm looking for some help authenticating and getting a ballpark price estimate for some things we found at an estate sale.
    They appear to be legit lithographs, hand signed by Marc Chagall, of the painting "Le Bouquet Volant". We didn't really know who he was when we grabbed them, but he seems to be fairly prolific and popular. Any idea what these may be worth? Is there anything we should know to determine how rare or desirable they are? Frankly I know nothing about the artist short of what a few Google searches turned up, and the only pricing we could find for these lithos was from 8 years ago so I'm assuming the market has changed since then.
    Thanks all!

2. I do think the darn things are hauntingly beautiful and alluring in a bizarre, surreal sense.... we just don't need two lol....

3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

There’s a huge difference between hand signed and facsimile signed. These are reproductions produced years after Chagall died.

4. Yeah, I noticed that this said printed in 1989 but he died in 1985. Was wondering about that. As a facsimile, what's the point of numbering it and putting a replica signature on it? Is there any value to them, or are they pretty much worthless?

judy, Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Some value but, yes, pretty much worthless

Figtree3, kyratango, Fid and 4 others like this.
  6. Bummer. We didn't really pay anything for them, so is what it is.
    Seems like facsimile's of a similar nature are selling on eBay for 60 or so? Seem about right?
    Also, out of curiosity, why did they bother reprinting these after he died and then add a fake signature and arbitrary numbering? Is that common for lithos and artists like this?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

8. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

9. Yeah I know they’re facsimiles. Just didn’t know if those had any value, like if they used his original plates or something. Still don’t get why they bothered numbering and fake signing them lol.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's because THEY, the forgers, are HOPEFUL, someone will fall for it!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:

11. Glad we didn’t pay anything for them specifically lol. We bought the whole lot (do a lot of storage units and mass estate sales) and they were just something that was part of them. Reason we got the lot was a Dune board game I noticed that sold for enough to pay for the whole thing

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

They have decorative value for sure ,but he's one of the most forged reproduced copied artist ever .

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Selling for $60 means they're selling for decorative value, as Johnny said. Marc Chagall was a major artist and a print genuinely signed by him should sell for considerably more.

It's hard to tell why people buy things on eBay....

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and Fid like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Pat P likes this.
  15. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

A 1989 limited edition offset lithograph after a mid-century painting by listed French artist Marc Chagall (1887-1985). The piece is marked with a Chagall facsimile signature to the lower right margin. The item comes with a certificate of authenticity that states that the piece is numbered according to a limited 1989 printing of 2000 prints by publisher Max Inter. The pieces are usually numbered with a Roman numeral and (“456/500” example) to the lower left margin. The print is double matted and presented under glass in a decorative gold tone wooden frame with wire to the back for hanging.
    I am guessing this Max Inter just chose to print copies and copy Chagalls name to the print, and it is only as 'Authentic" as the paper it is printed on. Smells like a scammer!

16. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I see this type of thing occasionally and also see people snap them up because of the "Certificate of Authenticity." I see it is a marketing lure, as you are right - it clearly states it is a facsimile signed Chagall. This is why I joined this board and am grateful to the knowledgeable members who post here like you. Thank you!

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Marketing lure." What a lovely phrase. Shall try to remember.

Debora

18. Oh yeah, like I said... only reason we have it is it was part of a lot from an estate sale we bought. The lady was an antiques dealer and still had price tags on some stuff (this was listed at $250 by her) so I think she got ripped off. I really just wanted the Dune Board Game and my wife wanted the Fenton Glass and carnival glass.

KikoBlueEyes, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  19. Appreciate all the knowledge. I have areas I’m good with but art ain’t one of them. Y’all have me some good things to look out for.

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Since the certificate clearly states that it is a facsimile, I don't think it was produced to scam anybody. It's worth what somebody will pay for it. I do also like the phrase "marketing lure." :)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted