Featured Maple Side Table Chest

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Illielee, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

Very curious about this side table, chest, what have you.
    Anyone seen this before? [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] @James Conrad

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, Nice! I would guess colonial revival, late 19th century because it appears to have hand cut dovetails. Keep in mind that although most furniture in america was built with machine power after 1850, they didn't perfect machines to make dovetails until 1900 so drawer joinery was largely done by hand.
    Very nice maple figure on drawer fronts/top, unfortunately not a lot of value these days. Wait for others to post.

3. James Conrad

The form looks a little like Shaker, especially the wood pulls but, i don't think it is. Here is a similar form Shaker chest, about 1850 from Willis Henry. Notice how the drawer blades are mortise & tenon with wood pins.
    "Willis Henry Shaker Auction 9/10/16 Lot 83. Estimate: $2,000 - 3,000. Realized: $780. Desc: Sister’s Chest, Pine, refinished with traces of old red & varnish, breadboard top, 3 dovetailed drawers, 2 small flanking drawers over one full drawer, all with oval bone escutcheons, top is possibly an old Shaker replacement, c. 1850, 30 1/2″ h, 33 1/2″ w, 21 1/2″ d."
    https://www.willishenryauctions.com/catalogs/shaker-auction-sept-10-2016/lot-83-sisters-chest/

a8e46dcc0bc7efcb8157971e494e307a.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not Shaker. Also doubt this is American. Where is this located? Agree that this is 19th century.

5. James Conrad

LOL, GOOD QUESTION! Hardly anyone tells us where they are, where they got the piece, naturally that is one of the most IMPORTANT subjects when trying to ID old furniture.
    I'd guess american because the secondary wood on drawer side looks like Poplar.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Even a generalized area of where one is can help!!!!!

7. James Conrad

Absolutely! Even a CONTINENT would help! everyone wants to be anonymous in here, what's the big secret? What are you people hiding? :hilarious:

kyratango, judy, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Illielee

Sorry I usually mention location if I feel it’s helpful but in this case it was at the estate of a collector of stuff from all over with no particular area of interest. In South Georgia.
    I initially thought late 19th as well. Thank you.

kyratango, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The state of Georgia or the country of Georgia?

11. James Conrad

I think that date is correct! GEORGIA! I remember now, a sideboard a couple months ago with some odd feet?
    Naturally, that doesn't mean piece was built there, any chance we could see pic's of drawer construction? Is secondary wood poplar?

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very nice appears to be Tiger Maple.

Is it large enough to be a small dresser? Does it appear that it might have had a mirror attached to the back?

Otherwise just a small side table as you suggest.

I agree mid to late 1800s.

13. James Conrad

Yeah, does to me to but, if Brad is correct & not american it would almost have to be english Sycamore, which is in the maple family & looks VERY similar to american Tiger Maple. If drawer sides are poplar, AMERICAN, because poplar is not native to england or europe.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  14. James Conrad

Either way, it's a nice little piece and worth snatching up if the price is right! :singing:

15. Aquitaine

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: James.....haven't you figured it out!!!! We're all special agents!!!!!!:D:D:D:D Of WHAT....we're not sure!!!! We're just SPECIAL!!!!!!

16. James Conrad

LOL, Yeah, ok, You're SPECIAL alright! special needs maybe. :rolleyes:
    Meanwhile, It's 79 degrees in Charlotte NC today, spring has sprung! :joyful:

17. Illielee

just curious what your idea of right price might be? it's poplar.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  18. James Conrad

Oh Boy, that's the 64 dollar question, not a lot that's for sure. I would guess if buying, not more than $100.-$150. or so, what are they asking?
    If poplar then almost certainly it's American & it will clean up well.
    I am probably not the best person to ask price as i don't collect that period, wait for others to post that are better informed on prices for that era.
    Tiger maple does drive some to distraction though, it's a very attractive wood.

judy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  19. Aquitaine

I'm going to just let that one just roll on by for personal reasons.....

judy and i need help like this.
  20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very well could be American then. If American and that is a single board top, I think we are talking more like 1850 or so. I would snatch this up for anything under $200.00. Even at $400.00 it is not a bad retail price. Where will you get another one?

Draft saved Draft deleted