Maker's mark

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bluemoon, Sep 1, 2017.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I found a mark that looks very similar in a list of 18th century parisian pewter marks (below).
    What about the other faint marks above and below the maker's mark?

2017-09-01 22.15.06.jpg 2017-09-01 22.16.28.jpg

See the third one down the right hand side (1735)
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe 1760.......looks better to my eye.....
    ( but then I screwed up a basket ID yesterday.....so....I'm off my game..:()

bluemoon likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

That marks list looks like it's from Poincons d'Etain. Before I pour over the marks in the book, do you have a copy of the book that you've already looked through?

4. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I found that set of marks by googling "French pewter marks" and it was the first one I clicked. I've never found a maker's mark so quickly before. :eek: I haven't looked through any actual books.

5. say_it_slowly

Ah...I have the book so I'll see if anything jumps out. Does your piece have the look of 18th C French pewter do you think?

bluemoon and judy like this.
  6. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It's a very typical late baroque / rococo style platter with the symmetrically wavy edges. An 18th century design.

7. say_it_slowly

Oye....so, first let me mention that the book is written in French. My French is very basic (think pre-school;)) so there is no way I can make out finer details from the descriptive portions of the text. I do use a translator for portions but it isn't very satisfying.

I didn't see anything that jumped out without a clearer idea what it is. Sorry:(.

Anyway, there are hundreds of French marks in the book and they are grouped by what's in the mark. For example a human figure. Almost all the marks have at least initials in addition to a central figure. Now, I have no idea what exactly it is and I didn't see anything that looked a perfect fit.

Here are some examples. There are pages of this type, if you flip yours over it could be something like these.
    upload_2017-9-1_18-37-24.png

And I'm not entirely sure I understand this and it may be earlier but here is the page with a google translation of the lower parts.
    upload_2017-9-1_18-39-5.png

the girl must have a lower part for Paris, or the initial letter of the city for the province. It is often quite difficult to differentiate the latter from one of the master's initials

the objects of tin of this period are punched either of the great mark, or of one or two small marks, or at the end of the great and small juxtaposed

bluemoon likes this.
  8. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Thanks for the great research!
    So, the other marks are pretty much likely maker's initials of some sort and the P for Paris. It's a shame they're so worn out due to polishing over the years. The lower one when the picture is flipped upside down appears to have a P. I can't make sense of any other letters.

Thanks again

9. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I started thinking, the marks in this list have the numbers (that I believe are years) but does that mean the mark was first introduced that year, or that it was only used that specific year?

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a single mark for a single year......or so i believe.

bluemoon likes this.