Maker's Mark Identification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Doug Ketcher, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon, recently bought this porcelain piece at a sale in Virginia that I believe is Dresden or Germany, but after looking online and thru my home library, I am unable to identify the maker's mark. Was hoping someone might provide me with an answer, please...? The piece itself is porcelain and lace and measures 10 inches wide and 12 inches tall. Thank You! (PS.. What IS that symbol below the crown, anyway...?) Antique German Dresden Style Porcelain Figurine Musician Couple Piano Cello -1.jpg Antique German Dresden Style Porcelain Figurine Musician Couple Piano Cello -MARK.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Possibly Furstenberg?

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Rontgen's book of marks has these two similar marks for Ackermann & Fritze and for Witter. I dont know if either is yours.

upload_2023-6-19_17-20-12.png

Attached Files:

Figtree3, judy, kentworld and 4 others like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

I forgot to mention that in this particular book the Furstenberg crown F marks I see have a huge F and a tiny rounded crown.

judy, dgbjwc and Doug Ketcher like this.
  5. Doug Ketcher

Thanks Christine, I paid $80 for it. I hope did ok....

judy likes this.
  6. Doug Ketcher

Thank you for your insights...

judy likes this.
  7. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for your posting... Kinda funny in that my mark seems to be a combination of the TWO marks you show (ornate crown on top pic with the larger "F" shape from the bottom pic... Interesting...

judy likes this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Many companies used crowns in their marks, often without any sort of royal approval.
    These "Dresden Lace" type figurines were often made in Germany, though Irish Dresden does exist.
    Sorry but IMHO, it's not really polite to ask how much someone paid for something. Some people do mention this without being asked, however... which is their choice, of course.

judy, BoudiccaJones and Bakersgma like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

Googling around, it seems to me that various places are saying its a Witter mark I think.

judy, dgbjwc and Doug Ketcher like this.
  10. Doug Ketcher

Many Thanks... I am inclined to agree from what I am seeing. Thanks for your expertise!

judy likes this.
  11. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Let me just drop the following: Ackermann & Fritze used various "core" marks which - while all pretty similar - show a large amount of variation. Shown mark (and figure) is definitely Ackermann & Fritze.

Roentgen's claim on certain marks having belonged to Witter are bullshit, by the way.

12. say_it_slowly

@Chris Marshall
    Bless you for helping! I did try to sort it out on your site but obviously failed.

I'm making a note in my Rontgen's. I'd like to have a Chris Marshall book;).

13. Doug Ketcher

Wow!! Thanks... This stuff is head scratching... Would you happen to have an example of the Ackermann & Fritze variation that looks like the mark on my piece, please? Thanks Chris!

14. Doug Ketcher

Sign me up for an advanced copy of the CM Maker's Mark book as well, please!

kentworld likes this.
  15. Doug Ketcher

Hey Chris, I also noticed that on the back of the base next to the maker's mark there appears to be stamped into the porcelain "1867". Unfortunately, it is very small and barely legible, and I can't get a good photo of it. just looking and knowing the maker, when would you date my piece? I am not even guessing or suggesting that it's actually 1867, and again it's what it appears to be stamped. Thanks!

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Most of the figurines with the fired lace on them that I've found have been post-WWI. I think they used cotton lace, dipped in slip and the lace itself fired off in the kiln. I'd imagine 1867 is a design number.

Doug Ketcher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted