Featured Maker? Pattern? Antique Porcelain Blue Painted Cups

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Jan 31, 2024.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I think this is an antique coffee cup but I cannot find the maker or pattern. Maybe Dutch? Do you know anything about it? I bought 4 at a thrift store. At the upper rim it is 4 inches in diameter by 1 7/8 inches tall. Thank you. IMG_9358__1706743729_94669.jpg IMG_9359__1706743783_92779.jpg Thank you.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree that the pattern looks Dutch.

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

4. alynnfin

5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I meant that the manufacturer (called N.V. Plateelbakkerij Ram) was based in the Dutch city of Arnhem :)
    They did indeed also produce Delftware/Delft Blue (it's a generic name, so it doesn't have to be produced in Delft). I wasn't able to find one like yours, but if you google for images of 'ram delfts blauw' you will find various examples of their delftware

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. alynnfin

Got it! Thank you so much. I am going to look now but that answers my question.

Marote likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

alynn, have the saucers gone walkabout?

RAM operated from 1921-1969. The founders were from art and design circles, and that is the type of ceramics they envisioned making. Unfortunately that was not economically viable, so some time in the 1940s (don't know the exact date) they began to manufacture the more popular Delfts blue style ceramics to keep the factory going.
    That means that your cute cups are 1940s at the earliest, but given the date letter V, more likely 1960s. So not antique, but very decorative.

8. alynnfin

Great information. The mystery unfolds and I do love a good mystery. Thank you.

Marote and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted