Makah Indian mask

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Wtfdude, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

996628FE-D8D8-4857-AE4A-EDA87305288E.jpeg 4878F694-F562-412E-8F30-F49B219F76F8.jpeg 2CBA7006-DE9D-4A39-BEC2-289316109EEA.jpeg 5CA5AD6D-B51C-4E09-8333-160F4169B76C.jpeg 0E1C28AC-20FB-430F-8C66-9C393CD8C825.jpeg 1F1616ED-DD03-4157-BED7-A446EFCA02D7.jpeg View attachment 289478 View attachment 289479 View attachment 289480 View attachment 289481 Looking for any info on this type of carved mask when I found a thread from this site....that is when I joined. I didn’t have any info when purchased just liked it...it was just different from most masks I have seen. I was pretty bummed when I read that the mask in the thread was not a carving but cast (I think...I can’t seem to find it since??) and not by actual Makah but rather by non native “in the likeness of makah art” (quoting loosely by memory alone). Upon receiving carving feel better with included literature but as always a bit leery. Cost was not much, probably less than any repro new. Thoughts?

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

Btw.....it was no where near 1800$ as on 2nd bunch of tags.

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

4. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

ggg.jpg rrr.jpg jkh.jpg

for the stiff necks among us

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It's an ok thing I guess, not classic but sort of NWT style though probably native carved - in what? Doesn't look like red cedar ..maybe yellow cedar or spruce? The animal in the mouth is a frog AFAIK and the top is a thunderbird. Nose of the main guy is a bit weird!
    Maybe it is Makah or Salish, they really don't have a Totem tradition as such ...although they do carve totems etc nowadays.
    <edit> maybe it is the lighting and it is cedar, just looks wrong colour to me, red cedar gets pretty dark when it oxidizes unless it's outside, then it goes grey.

8. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

9. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

Any links to thread I mentioned? I look for it a little just about every chance I am on this forum and haven’t found it.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Christmasjoy, KikoBlueEyes and blooey like this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You were not alone! After 2 labels I just had to fix it!!:arghh::angelic:

12. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

theres a saying "teach a man to fish...yada yada" .....where/how does one "fix"? guess Im not up to speed .....wouldn't want all y'all fallen off your chairs tilting your head a little....

13. KikoBlueEyes

Well on your computer, you can right click the photo and it will bring you to an edit screen. You select rotate and spin it around. Now I have a windows based system, it could be different on a MAC or phone.

Christmasjoy and Wtfdude like this.
  14. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

yeah its not the same....like the second, fourth, eighth now eleventh time trying still not working on Mac

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Sorry. Not a MAC person. Maybe one will be able to help.

Wtfdude likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Did you save your new version?

17. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

you good...much thanks!!! For everyone else....maybe holding your screen at a tilt is easier and safer until I can get back to figure out. I'd feel terrible if anyone gets a crick in neck from such strenuous activity tilting your head for aaahh...less than ten seconds, right? sounds right, <10 seconds to read tags. Be safe, imma gonna hurry....

18. Wtfdude

Wtfdude Member

nooo.....I mean I don't really know?? lol I gotta go for a minute for ....wtvr...I'll be back tho..Im a night owl so up late, rn is like a mid day w/out covid crap/normal life day

19. KikoBlueEyes

On a windows machine, you have to save the new version or it just goes back to the original.

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those tags took way longer than 10 seconds to read.........but I digress..

Draft saved Draft deleted