Featured Major Ice-Box Necessity; 3-Prong Block Chipper & Bakelite Grip

Discussion in 'Tools' started by wlwhittier, Aug 6, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The outer spikes are 4 1/2" across an' 3" long; the cross-bar is 5/16" diameter. Overall length is ~8 1/2". Weight is ~5.4 ounces. The grip tests positive for bakelite.
    My grandparents had ice delivered regularly for their simple 2-door oak Ice Box. It came in blocks roughly a cubic foot in volume, though they weren't cubic so much as rectangular...I was 8 to 10 years old before they could be persuaded to spring for a refrigerator, but once it arrived they praised it, an' discarded the old clunker oak box with white enamel interior an' heavy chrome-plated hardware...just took it to the dump! Anyway, the block had to be reduced on one dimension, a task that grandpa undertook with a simple ice-pick, an' it was quickly done.
    Something like this would have been overkill, but for larger work, must have been a labor saver...not that wielding it for any length of time could be considered light work. Have any of you seen one of these, or something close? Some will probably suggest its true use is for holding a large joint of roast meat while slicing...but I'm doubtful of that. As usual, there's not a mark on it to indicate who made it, or where, or when...nada.
    Thanks for your help with this beauty...an' for lookin'!

P1420177.jpeg P1420178.jpeg P1420179.jpeg P1420180.jpeg P1420182.jpeg P1420181.jpeg P1420183.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
  2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It's very nice. Just reminds me of the old bread fork my grandmother used.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. wlwhittier

I dunno, komo...the prongs are (imho) too short, an' too big around, for that meaty service.
    You might be right, of course...

judy likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have figured that for a bread fork too, but what do I know? It doesn't look a nasty enough customer to chip ice.

wlwhittier and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

whatever it is , I luv it....and would go into battle with it !!!!!!!:hungry::hungry::woot:

7. wlwhittier

How 'bout this: a hair comb for Sasquatch, aka BigFoot?

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Gotta say, can't really see this as an ice chipper, tines too far apart and can't recall seeing other than even length, better for chipping the ice, and would expect a straight handle, and the same for a bread fork, would expect a straight handle and even tines. Personally, would think a meat/roast fork, the curved handle, better in the hand as the other hand carves, the sturdy structure to hold the weight, and that short center tine, 3 tine carving forks are uncommon, and typically more slender, but they do sometimes have a shorter center tine...

~Cheryl

Potteryplease, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a modern tool that looks like that. It came with an oven pan and said it was to hold a roast while it's carved.

komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted