Featured Majolica sort of style Japanese (I think) vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by say_it_slowly, Nov 22, 2014.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This came from a local auction and I swear I think I should know this but can't find it to save my soul. It's swirl pottery in tan and brown with applied lotus leaves, a crab and a snail with scale like ridges on the interior rather Palissy like. It's 4½" high and marked on the bottom but I can't read Japanese or Chinese. I can't come up with the right search term, I've tried Banko and Sumida (Gawa) but those don't seem quite right. Any thoughts?

Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-1b.jpg Untitled-1c.jpg Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-1a.jpg

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and lauragarnet like this.
  2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I don't know how to read Japanese characters, but I have memorized a few chop marks the first two "divided rectangle" and the one right after read Japan... the sticker looks like it says .... decor Jap Pottery ...'65 (maybe 1965)

3. say_it_slowly

That does help, I thought it was Japanese when I first saw it but I've gotten nowhere since:)

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. alfredolloza

alfredolloza New Member

5. say_it_slowly

Thanks for you input. I forgot I'd asked and had put it on a shelf.

cxgirl and lauragarnet like this.
  6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Amazing! Two years later you get a substantive response. I love this place.:)

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Wonderful, it's a Banko lotus bowl! I tried to find the marking on the Gothsborg's Japanese Porcelain marks page with no luck. After Alfred... IDed it, I did find Banko markings like this in online pottery books such as Collector's Handbook of Marks and Monograms on Pottery and ..., page 101, bottom of left column & top of right column:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=Y...QAhVpqFQKHXgpBNIQ6AEIHTAB#v=onepage&q&f=false

--- Susan

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum @alfredolloza:)
    I agree with you laura:)
    great link, thanks for posting this ladybranch:)

LauraGarnet02 and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

Thanks for all the follow up:). I actually have that book, or actually it's a set of two, but didn't think to look there at the time I guess. I think I did do some follow up research after posting here and had come to the belief it was Banko ware but without details recorded if I found any.

In trying to go back and review where else I might have asked I discovered two things. First, I can't find an archived Ebay discussion board anymore and even looking at my old posts there it doesn't go back as far as 2014. Two, I used to pay for the discussion board on Gotheborg but my subscription isn't current so I can't look back there either:(.

I love this place:singing:. Thanks for all your continued help and support!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It looks like the archived discussion boards on eBay are no longer available. Or, they have changed the addresses. I had the archives of the old Antiques board bookmarked, but when I go to the link it now says that I don't have enough rights to look at it.

And I love the original post in this thread! I'm glad it was regenerated after 2 years.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted