Majolica Figurine - Seated Figure at Desk - any idea of maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gimbler-dave, Aug 31, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

I'm trying to learn something about this figurine. It is a rather substantial piece, measuring 9"h x 6-3/4"d x 4"w and weighing 2 lbs 15 oz. Someone here has suggested it might be Moorcroft, but I haven't found any marks or other ID. Does anyone recognize it? Thanks! ... Dave
    db_figurine_1.JPG
    db_figurine_2.JPG
    db_figurine_3.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That heavy and that damage makes me wonder if someone used it as a door stop.

3. gimbler-dave

Wow, that would be sad if they did. Most of the damage is limited to the base at the back.

At first I was thinking this was a scribe of some sort, but now I think they are doing something else on the lectern/desk/platform. Maybe cleaning a food product or something like that?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Could she be making lace? Those look a little like bobbins under her hand.
    Maybe a photo looking down on her project would help.

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

6. gimbler-dave

Here's that shot quirkygirl. I admit I didn't look closely at first, but even now, I have no idea what is happening.
    db_figurine_4.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  7. gimbler-dave

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That is exactly why I guessed that. That's likely where the damage would be. :(

gimbler-dave likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted