MAJOLICA? CAPODIMONTE? LAMP - HOW DO I CHANGE BASE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 8, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 2 lamps in a shed of a house a friend bought to flip. I think they are Majolica?
    The only problem is the bases are rusted & need to be replaced + they will need to be rewired.
    Can the bases be changed?
    Are these Majolica? Capodimonte?
    Any idea of their age?
    I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY LAMP MAJELICA 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY LAMP MAJELICA 1AA_A.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY LAMP MAJELICA 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY LAMP MAJELICA 2AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY LAMP MAJELICA 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY LAMP MAJELICA 3AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY LAMP MAJELICA 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY LAMP MAJELICA 5AA.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey...there's a party going on there....I want in !!! :playful::playful:

if the bases are original.....leave em for someone else to play with....

judy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

1960s Capodimonte style

Changing the base out will be hard. Only because it will be difficult to find something to match the original shape that fits the pottery.

A soft brush and mineral oil will clean some of the corrosion and keep it from corroding further.

There was a jewelry thread in which other cleaners were suggested that worked a little better than the mineral oil. Maybe you or someone else can find that thread.

judy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am itching to get my fingers on those bases. They could be cleaned up and redone and no one would know the difference. Do not send them to me since I would ignore my household duties to work on them.:eek::eek::eek:
    greg

komokwa and judy like this.
  5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Not Majolica?
    How do I rewire - If I pull out old wiring can I just guide a new one up the hole?
    If I can rewire, I think I would be better just covering the bottom - I'm afraid any pressure will break badly rusted parts.
    What would I expect to pay to have someone (gregsglass?!) clean & cover them - and would it be worth it?
    Thank you!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted