Majolica ?? Antique?? Cherries Candlestick ID Needed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Nov 6, 2014.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Can't decide if it is beautiful because it is beautiful or because it's so damn ugly it's beautiful! Anyway, can someone out there identify this 8.5 inch tall cherries candlestick?
    cherries3.jpg cherries2.jpg cherries4.jpg

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I see your dilemma!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:p

And why are there blueberries in one spot?

I usually think "Mediterranean" when I see that kind of white underside - anything from Spain to Italy. Not that I know anything about pottery. ;)

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nooooo... that's pretty ugly.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bakersgma,
    Not blueberries but grapes. I would display it with a little sign 200 yrs old.:rolleyes:
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Geez. Those don't look like grapes to me at all.

But then they could be "ugly grapes." :rolleyes:

7. silverthwait

Call them boysenberries...

heh, heh, heh...

Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. Bakersgma

That's a really good idea, silverthwait! :happy:

'Cuz they sure ain't no grapes. :cool:

9. vitry-le-francois

Okay. It's ugly! Perhaps they are not grapes. Or even fruit, for that matter. I'm thinking a pile of animal droppings after they ate some of the cherries ;)

spirit-of-shiloh and gregsglass like this.
  10. gregsglass

Hi Vitry,
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    greg

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know, looks like cherries and grapes to me :wacky:. What does disturb me a bit is the whiteness of the base. I think Walter has warned about Chinese pieces and I'm wondering if it's something like that. (hope not)

Maybe Walter will look in @Walter Del Pellegrino

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  12. silverthwait

That candlestick reminds me of the wallpaper we found in the kitchen of our first house. It was squares decorated with cherries, strawberries, blueberries, boysenberries, raspberries...and several others that I can't remember.

It drove me crazy!

I am absolutely compelled to read whatever is put in front of me: medicine bottles, cereal boxes, dollar bills, return addresses, recipes on canned veggies, etc. After three weeks of having my morning coffee accompanied by fruit salad, I was becoming a gibbering idiot! Strawberries began to appear on the steering wheel of the car...I brushed my teeth with blueberries...couldn't stand yogurt anymore...

My paperhanging man couldn't BELIEVE the welcome he got!!!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  13. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Look like blueberries to me :)...or sickly concord grapes. :p

14. gregsglass

Hi Silver,
    I would have traded wallpaper with you in a flash. My kitchen had black background with vertical rows of corn on cob, tomatoes and green peppers.
    the rows were very 10" with a thin lt blue stripe on each side. I got up at 3AM and started removal.
    greg

15. silverthwait

16. gregsglass

Hi Silver,
    Good one. I started with "Round Up". I too am a "reader". I read everything I see. My nephews who think reading is just nonsense just can not believe that I even read "junk mail". Once I was at an office waiting room and there was NOTHING to read, I found a phone book, it worked.
    greg

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. vitry-le-francois

I need something with pictures :/

18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Didn't mention earlier, but for some reason I like this item. At first I thought they were blueberries, but now think grapes is a possibility. Maybe if we could see that side, to see what type of leaves are attached?

Or maybe it doesn't matter whatsoever. :banghead:

19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm going with grapes.
    Italian was the first thought.
    But isn't pottery from Portugal red clay, and don't they use a white wash on the bottom?
    Just another possibility.

20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Maybe black currents?

Draft saved Draft deleted