Featured Low-Tide Flatfish Harvest; Holland, or Belgium, or?

Discussion in 'Art' started by wlwhittier, Jan 24, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This print image is ~9 5/8" x ~5 5/8"; ~11" x ~7 1/8" framed. the glass is float, so not very old, which the seems to coincide with the glazier's points & frame hanger.
    Up close it sort of looks like half-tone dots, but not quite...that may help date it; what is this process properly called?
    I cannot read the signature, and would like to know more about this artist, and their other work.
    The woman with the large basket, walking toward the crowd, is wearing what appears to be very similar to what my mother would have called a Kepi; Mom grew up in Holland. There are also the fishing boats near the horizon, whose rigging may offer clues about age an' location. Also, several of the folks are shod with Klompen-Kloggen...are those strictly Dutch, or common along that coast?
    It was a flea market find, maybe 5 years ago. I liked it immediately, and paid only a pittance to make it my own.
    Thanks for lookin'!

ECCF4FA5-C156-4963-B870-78095A996FD5_1_201_a.jpeg 0B3AF107-D456-43AE-937A-23ABA3C31544_1_201_a.jpeg BDC820FF-0E80-4E9B-804C-CC39354AB7B4_1_201_a.jpeg 4D1CA3A9-D1BC-44FB-BE1D-3D87C2F7CE08_1_201_a.jpeg 0E43B5D0-CFE1-4EC8-B289-CD74AB577D0B_1_201_a.jpeg 0F835BDF-3939-4806-89CD-6AB14965F0AC_1_201_a.jpeg D3A04483-FED0-4E8B-83B1-343F7D55F66F_1_201_a.jpeg 18EFED57-8F0D-4ED9-ADBD-4BFAB665ECB7_1_201_a.jpeg AD803BF0-2F3A-4A40-9863-7521BE339C75_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Try Philip Sadée.

Debora

22444.jpg

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Why does that look woven to me ?

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It's a small print and the printing dot are also small. Just a trick of the eye making it look like a textured surface. ;)

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Philip Sadée (1837-1804), Netherlandish (Hague school). I don't know this artist, but the signature matches and this is his type of scene. Lucked out on finding the name.

Don't know the reproduction method either. I don't think it's intaglio, but it does look like its meant to resemble a colored engraving.

6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Memory fails me and searching did not a good example. I think that there was a seldom used, screen during my time in graphics, that used a linear rather than a dot pattern. That could be what makes it look woven. That would not explain the dots. Just thinking aloud. :sorry:

wlwhittier likes this.
  7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Looks like a later colorized lithograph. Maybe mezzotint. So you're getting both the hatching of the original lithograph, and the artifacts of the colorizing.

Roaring20s and wlwhittier like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A kepie is a military cap, the type France's general de Gaulle used to wear, if you remember him.;)

The women in the painting are wearing a 'hul', more specifically a Scheveningen 'hul', as well as the typical black and red cape that is worn by the fishermen's wives of Scheveningen and Katwijk.
    Scheveningen and Katwijk are fishing villages near The Hague.
    So this scene is situated on the beach of Scheveningen.
    The flatfish are most likely plaice.
    Clogs were/are worn in many parts of Europe, both coastal and inland. The model some of the women are wearing is a Holland type, so from part of the west of the Netherlands.

The orangey part in the west is Holland, which means most of the Netherlands is not Holland (and we prefer it that way:bag:):

390px-Holland_position.svg.png

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    komokwa, wlwhittier and mirana like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

enlargement showing pattern:
    1b.jpeg

Roaring20s and wlwhittier like this.
  10. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Wow...I've un-learned a lifetime assumption, AJ, with your comment on Netherlands vs Holland. I'll risk thinking that Amsterdam is in Holland, an' therefore I'm still a 'Hollander' by virtue of Mom's birth in Velsen.
    Also, the name of the flatfish, plaice, is new for me...I'm only aware of halibut and flounder (an' now sole) in that configuration. Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Yes, both Amsterdam and Velsen are in the province of North Holland.
    The Hague and Scheveningen are in the province of South Holland.

I am not in Holland, I am in the Netherlands, in the southern province of North Brabant. The other parts of Brabant are in Belgium, our southern neighbours.

wlwhittier, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and how do u feel about tulips ?? :playful::playful::playful::playful::kiss:

wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Even though I am closer to rose growing country, I like tulips.:):kiss:

Figtree3, wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted