Louis Henry Dupont same as Henry Dupont?

Discussion in 'Art' started by AntiqueBytes, Sep 10, 2020.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Having problems identifying the artist of a signed engraving I just bought. It obviously falls into the category of Henry Dupont, which its signed. It's a common theme of his to create engravings of houses. But there is also a Louis Henry Dupont that seemed according to some to be known as Louis Dupont. Some information out there is probably false, so hoping someone has some reference books or just knows online sources better.

Here is something I found online:

"Antique Original Signed Etching by engraver Louis Henry Dupont 1840-1910. Signed by artist from Vezelay, France. Henry Dupont (Parigi, 1840 - 1910) - Vazelay
    Etching Louis-Henry Dupont was a prolific French painter and engraver of the 19th century; he studied art in Paris with the great painter Jean-Léon Gérime. He was a full member of the Salon des Artistes Francais, where he exhibited his works every year."

The prolific part is helpful as the works of "Louis Dupont" seem different than the Henry Dupont that did these outdoor house scenes. Don't worry about "Henri Dupont" he is a later artist.

Are there two artists in the 19th Century,one Henry Dupont and the other Louis Henry Dupont? If there are, I should be able to get birthdates.

If you notice a recent ebay auction, the artist listed as Louis Henry Dupont signed his work Henry Dupont.

It takes me a while to post pictures and since mine isn't different than the common house pictures of Henry Dupont I won't have one up for a while.

2. AntiqueBytes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's an evening scene hence the stars.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe..........maybe snow flakes.........
    i'll go with the MOON....and window lights from the homes....shining off the water !
    just sayin.........

4. AntiqueBytes

I am looking for information on Henry Dupont. Anyone have any reference guides to look up the names mentioned?

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. AntiqueBytes

Thanks. I've seen that page. The human figure seems different than the landscape style, but a gifted artist could do both. It was said he was very versatile. I wonder why he signed his name,"Henry Dupont"? It seems informal but perhaps that was what he went by. I wonder if he ever signed his name Louis Henry Dupont or if there are any Louis Dupont signatures.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Your etching of the winter house was probably his own design, but The Gleaner from the link is after a painting by Jules Breton.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And here's evidence that Augis was a commercial painter.

Debora

8498105_9.jpg

11. AntiqueBytes

Yes, muddy waters, sometimes clearer. Goes to show that dealers often do not know what they are talking about. Henri Dupont is a later artist and very different and no reason to spell Henry Dupont with that variation carelessly, because there is a later Henri Dupont.

Draft saved Draft deleted