Loomed Cotton Runner or Sash: Central/South America?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by wlwhittier, Jan 25, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This is roughly 6 1/2 feet long, 7 1/2 inches wide. Pics 2, 8 & 9 are the truest colors. Pics 1 & 2 are opposite sides of the same end, an' I think pic 2 is the 'front' side. The other 3 patterns show the same weave on either side, unlike that end. I determined it's cotton by clipping a couple short pieces of the raveling end (the woof)... an' burning 'em under my nose. Not wool, nor silk or synthetic.
    I know very little about textiles, so my notice of the lack of a selvedge lends weight to my belief that this is not machine-made, but comes from hand-looming. The 3 patterns...similar, but individually unique... along with the difference in technique used to create the end-panel, as well as the lack of end-to-end symmetry, say to me that this was a students effort, a learning piece of loom-work. Another small anomaly is that single dark warp stripe on the right half of all the pics except 2 & 8...visible only on the 'back' side of the fabric.
    I've probably missed other significant markers that will allow y'all to know what you're looking at...I sincerely hope so.
    As always, Thanks for lookin'!

P1400220.jpeg P1400228.jpeg P1400221.jpeg P1400225.jpeg P1400224.jpeg P1400223.jpeg P1400222.jpeg P1400226.jpeg P1400227.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think Guatemala and not recent but... not an expert and may be wrong.

Debora

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I can't identify it for sure - just some observations. If it was made for actual use as a belt or sash, I would expect the warp ends to be finished as tassels, or turned under and sewn, to prevent it from unraveling.

The length and width are similar to strip woven cloth from West Africa (kente cloth), particularly that made by the Ewe people of Ghana, who make cloths with simple stripes such as on this piece. Such strips might not have finished ends until they are incorporated into a larger cloth, with the long strips being sewn together edge to edge. The three hour-glass type designs resemble designs used on West African strip cloth. But I have not seen design areas like those added at the ends of your cloth.

I think pic 1 is probably the front. The designs are created with what is called a "supplementary weft", an additional weft thread that is worked in on top of the wefts that form the ground fabric. The longer white threads, called "floats", are usually on the back of a textile. They are just a way to get the supplementary weft to the next place they are needed in the design on the front.

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thank you, Books...an excellent analysis!
    The end panel is singular...I should have made that clear.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted