Looking to identify these chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by tinpanalley, Jul 20, 2024.

1. tinpanalley

tinpanalley New Member

I'm in Canada (Montreal). Is this 20th Century novo-Jacobean Revival...ish? Any ideas? This is a sale online so I can't really get better pictures than this. Hope it's enough.

What would you pay for them? I'll tell you what they're going for after I get some guesses. But I do need to move fast on them.

Images here...

Thank you!!

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Here they'd sell for ...you'd be lucky to sell them. The market may be different in Montreal, and they're in good shape.

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a Westmount home... maybe Hampstead !!

Dear Tin...... we're not fans of guessing games........ and we hale from several continents....... so you tell us what the price is......and we'll tell you just how we feel about that.

We are honest and upfront....and expect no less from others !!

Funny that there are just 2....... as they look like table chairs rather than hall chairs.... and I see a damaged foot on the right one !

5. tinpanalley

tinpanalley New Member

Sorry, didn't think it was going to be such a rule breaker my post. They are asking for $60 for both. I simply want to know what they are so I can discern whether they're absolute department store junk or worthwhile pieces.

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yes. 20th century, a mix of styles. Some Spanish influence. That would be near top dollar here in the Midwest. Probably not too bad for Montreal. Would say pass if looking to re-sell.

pearlsnblume, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. tinpanalley

tinpanalley New Member

Thanks,
    Very near top dollar as in, $30 each is about as much as these will go for? And as far as intended use, we're hoping to find chairs in styles we like to keep for using at home.

8. verybrad

Yes, $30.00 per chair is near top dollar here. Shops will sometimes try for more but would be a very tough sell. Pairs Often sell for under $50.00 in the shops. Often see similar vintage chairs for very cheap or even free here. One auction I sometimes attend starts everything at $2.00. Old chairs often sell at or very near opening bid. If they don't sell, they are put on a free pile outside. People also often put old chairs at roadside for free. This is semi-rural Midwest where this stuff is cheap. These chairs appear nicer than some but not exceptional.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  9. tinpanalley

tinpanalley New Member

So what makes them so invaluable? Are they poor quality? Too ubiquitous? Of no tangible design interest?

judy likes this.
  10. verybrad

Not in favor for most people these days. If you like them and they are sturdy, why not go for them? You could not buy anything similar new for that kind of money. You might find cheaper but it may take a long while. Have to say the upholstery choice is good. Often not the case.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The market.
    Folks looking for chairs r looking for a set of 4..or 6..... these are occasional chairs....and these would at least have to match or compliment the furniture one already has.
    While I like the Jacobean twists..... lighter more mcm , danish style , are popular now.

12. tinpanalley

tinpanalley New Member

Thank you all for your input. Heck of a lot better than on a subreddit I found.

The fact is that it's not that my wife and I will ONLY purchase furniture that has some monetary museum-piece value, but like our used books and records, we'd like them to have some kind of past that predates late 20th Century department store origins. And what we've benefitted most from over the years is from people trying to sell off exactly this, one or two chairs because they aren't part of a set. We love that our dining table has 6 different chairs that get used for it. Our apartment is a bit of an eclectic mix of older, warm, furniture that goes from Victorian to early 20th Century. Nothing "matches" in our home except different areas have different matching tones.
    So, what I'm wanting with these chairs is for them to not be something you could get at the Bombay Company when they were open or even some very high end hand fabricated piece made now. We'd like for the furniture to have lived a bit and to have been at least from the 40s. My heart would sink if I saw a tag on these from the 1980 from Sears.

13. verybrad

I think you are safe there. These probably date no later than the 30s. Could possibly be even older. Being in Canada, there is a good possibility that these are English in origin, though not necessarily. England did this type of revival stuff before we did in the States. If they were American, would say no earlier than the late teens.

tinpanalley and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted