Looking to Help Identify My Ornate Urn

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Doug Ketcher, May 12, 2023.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon, hoping to get some assistance in identifying a metal urn I picked up this week at a yard sale in Northern Virginia.

The urn is very ornate and appears to have been painted at one time as it appears to have some residuals in some areas.

The urn is 14 inches tall and six inches from handle tip to handle tip and quite heavy for its small size. It features a flame emanating from the top and two faces form the bottom portion of the handles.

I thought it was brass originally, but from the way the metal is copper-colored in some areas and turning green in other areas, I am starting to think it may be copper (?)

The maker's mark is a triangle that appears to say DAV / ART / NY.

Any information as to what it is, when it was made, and what it's made of would be GREATLY Appreciated!

Thanks!!!! Brass of Copper Urn - 1 (14 X 6.5).jpg Brass of Copper Urn (14 X 6.5) - 2.jpg Brass of Copper Urn (14 X 6.5) - 3.jpg Brass of Copper Urn (14 X 6.5) - 4.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Bottom makes me think brass and gilt plated pot metal, though I suppose it could be solid brass (or even bronze). Maybe part of a garniture set, early 20th century.

kyratango and Doug Ketcher like this.
  3. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for the info, Brad... Had no idea that brass or bronze would turn green like that as copper tends to do! Thanks again!

4. Doug Ketcher

EXCELLENT call, Brad!!! I tried to find "DAV ART NY" and after much searching that it refers to the New York Art Bronze Works (aka D.A.V NY ART). The vase is BRONZE!!! Too Cool!!!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango, Doug Ketcher and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The current green exterior was added, not naturally generated. In other words. it didn't "turn green."

kyratango, Doug Ketcher and komokwa like this.
  8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Brass is Copper alloyed with Zinc; Bronze is (commonly) Copper alloyed with Tin...

9. Doug Ketcher

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  10. Doug Ketcher

Interesting... Thanks for the info!

komokwa likes this.
  11. Doug Ketcher

kyratango and komokwa like this.