Looking for pattern/maker - Violet Etched Glass Ice Bucket

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gimbler-dave, Aug 22, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who the maker is on this piece, and what the pattern is? I think it is an ice bucket, it measures 8 inches high with a 3-1/2 inch diameter base and 5-1/4 inch diameter rim. The sides have a gentle ripple which can be seen in the 2nd picture. The violet tint is deepest at the base, fading to almost clear at the rim. Thank you! ... Dave
    db_violet_1.JPG
    db_violet_2.JPG
    db_violet_3.JPG

2. gimbler-dave

Maybe not an ice bucket -- my colleague says it is a vase.

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I do not know right off. Based on the color and nature of the etch I would start with Cambridge then Fostoria and if no luck to Tiffin. I agree vase not big enough for ice bucket.

gimbler-dave likes this.
  4. gimbler-dave

5. gimbler-dave

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Could the purple coloring be the color change from glass exposure that sometimes happens?

7. gimbler-dave

I wondered that too Pat, when I first saw the piece. I think extended UV exposure can cause a tint effect. I don't think that is the case here, but maybe some of the glass experts can give their opinion.

By the way, I mentioned a "gentle ripple" in my OP. A better description would be "thumbprint" style flat ovals on the surface of the side, in two rows. Definitely makes for a more interesting surface vs. smooth sides. ... Dave

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not a glass expert, and will be interested to see what others say.

It's a pretty pattern...

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This looks like Central Glass, Balda etch. I recently sold some plates with this same color and etch. The lavender is really nice.

gimbler-dave and TallCakes like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oh, and it's not sun purpled. It's supposed to be that way, it's lavender.

gimbler-dave and Pat P like this.
  11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

gimbler-dave likes this.
  12. gimbler-dave

Great! Thanks for the ID! ... Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted