Looking for information on bronze statue

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Rexeo, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

Alegory of Democracy.jpg Hi, I am from Australia and struggling to find out anything about our bronze statue which came off a clock. It has been in our family since approx the 1920's (not sure of that date). The statue which is bronze is signed by Duchoiselle however we cannot find anything about him/her or the clock she was on. Basically any help would be great either info here or can anyone point me in the right direction to find it. Would really like to know what the clock looked like and about the sculptor?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]could u please go to edit your post and click on ...full image ...next to the photo icon..?

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  3. komokwa

or provide more photo's....of the siggy and reverse..

please.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Lark, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

And bottom please!

6. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

7. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

Now done as requested

8. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

The bottom if you mean the plate that attached to the clock is no longer there as when it was removed the plate was not then attached to the marble base which she was put on. It is just a hole now.

9. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Yes, let's see that, but these new photos make it look more like a bronze that has been cleaned at some point.
    It's a very nice statue. :)

Gatoblanconz likes this.
  11. komokwa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if it's bronze, someone messed with it.....and the siggy looks messed up too...

so spelter..??...like Roaring suggests??

NaptownFTW likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

By bottom I mean the bottom of the piece, the side that sits flat on the table.

komokwa likes this.
  13. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

I am mystified as to why it is important, however I will post a picture. Please bear in mind, the resin in this picture is to be removed. It was done before it came into our possession by the relative who owned it previously. As to it being cleaned, it was used as a doorstop which had paint etc dripped on it, so yes it was cleaned also by the relative who inserted the resin. As to the signature, it is or isn't Duchoiselle, what has happened to the signature I don't know, perhaps it was done by a different foundry? I am beginning to regret asking about it - are you able to ascertain if it is spelter or bronze by the weight of it as this is very heavy almost 4 kg. Hoping you can advise.
    Statue Bottom.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    komokwa likes this.
  14. komokwa

Bear with us...we have a process as a group in order to give the most accurate information we can.

The base of an item can tell us a lot about it....even if you think there's nothing there....we need to see what you see.

For instance ....1st I've heard of any resin.....which is doing a good job of covering up a lot of the base.....but from what I can see , I'm coming around to it actually being bronze......not spelter.....

See.....moving forward !! :happy:

Others will weigh in......when they show up....as not all of us are here all the time !

aaroncab and smallaxe like this.
  15. Rexeo

Rexeo New Member

Its been awhile, but here is an updated photo of our statue with a new base we have sourced - hope you enjoy. Learner 3.jpg