Looking for information and restoration

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by KEN C HERRERA, Nov 23, 2020.

1. KEN C HERRERA

KEN C HERRERA Member

DSCN0338 (2).JPG DSCN0338.JPG Hello to all! Just joined this group but am a long time collector of different antique items. My latest find is this needlepoint/petit point tapestry. It measures 28 inches wide by 36 inches tall (excluding the frame, just the art) The frame was apparently hand made. The person I purchased it from says she took it to the antique road show about 10 years ago and was told it was a British needlepoint and that the frame appeared to have been made from parts of an old bed frame. The insurance value at the time was 4,000.00. The tapestry has a small tear in it, on the right leg of the man standing, and several small bits of moth damage. It also needs a serious cleaning. IF this is, in fact, worth thousands I want to have it professionally restored. My questions are: any idea what this is? and, any recommendations as to someone who can clean and restore it?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Bronwen and i need help like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

67859EAE-13CA-468C-A4DE-63F12177BA18.jpeg 0D74D9DA-4944-45D3-A3DB-05A5AFBC55A3.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Ken,
    Checking Full image will make your photos better to see.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LOVING the frame.....and tagging @Northern Lights Lodge who might be able to help with the tapestry itself. If I remember correctly, aren't insurance values usually double the actual value of an item???? I COULD EASILY be WAY OFF on that, SO DON'T take my word for it....WAIT for OTHERS to chime in!!
    AND WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!:):):)

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. KEN C HERRERA

KEN C HERRERA Member

Thank you for the information. I have reached out to someone listed with the Cultural Heritage Organization.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Northern Lights Lodge here. What a cool piece! I am, however, no expert on tapestries - especially in terms of value.
    I like the story re: the bed used for the frame! It is a pretty frame. Does it have "feet" so that it is self supporting? If so, was it used as a decorative fireplace screen when the fire was not in use? Just interesting!
    Leslie

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. KEN C HERRERA

KEN C HERRERA Member

It does have feet, but does not stand very well...My wife also thought it might have been used as a fireplace screen. The back of the frame is covered with what appears to be a fine silk cloth that has a tear across the top allowing me to see inside, a bit. I tried getting pictures of the back of the tapestry but the tear is not large enough to take a good picture. When I learn more about it I will remove the material so I can get a good look at the back to see how the needlework was done. I can already see it has LOTS of dust on the back side of the work itself, so the silk cover didn't do much except filter the dust into fine particles! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted