Featured Looking for info on delf pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andy111, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Andy111

Andy111 New Member

Hullo there, my grandmother said this piece belonged to Winston Churchill's Aunt, who gave it to one of my grandmother's relatives who worked in her house as a servant. She was allowed to take something from the house when she left i believe, and chose this. Any info on it would be great, most interested in its age

Thanks[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cool story...too bad you can't document it.....that would be something !!!

Andy111 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very interesting story! Would this "aunt" have been on his father's side or his mother's side? Are you in the UK or the US?

Andy111 likes this.
  4. Andy111

Andy111 New Member

I'm not sure, I'll find out. Can anyone give me any info on what i should search for on Google to try and find other items like this... I don't even know what the object is called beyond a jar with a lid, i don't even know if it's delft pottery etc. I'm good at Google searches but with this i don't even know where to begin. Again I'm most interested in finding out it's age or maker. And to the poster before yes I'm English, so is my grandmother and the lady who received the item.

I don't know if the item is English though looks more dutch to me but I'm just an amateur

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Welcome Andy111 - This is going to be a tough one. I would try searching "delft trinket box" and also do a google image search. The dutch scenes were very popular over the years and were produced by companies all over the world. Your box looks to be hand painted which is always a plus. The lack of a mark, though, makes it very difficult to ID a specific maker or time frame. If we can believe the family story this piece could have produced in the early 1900's which was probably the height of the dutch scene craze. Everyone from Roseville in the US to Noritake in Japan was producing items with dutch scenes around that time.

I think there might be a clue on the clasp. It does look like there might be a distinct image there. If you can find other boxes with that clasp it may help. It's not going to be easy though.
    Don

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I know very little about porcelain, but to me, the light blue background is somewhat distinctive, too. When I look at Delft blue & white, what I see is that much of it has a bright white background(?) The blue here reminds me of some of the porcelain from Denmark, but I imagine that's just a coincidence.

I searched for a while last night for various iterations of "lidded container with clasp" but didn't come up with anything quite like this one...

I think it's lovely!

Andy111, komokwa and dgbjwc like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beautiful box, wherever it is from.
    The sails of the windmill are not painted by a Dutch person, so I doubt it is Dutch Delfts. They look a bit like cut feathers, like you see on arrows.
    And Dutch windmills are to be found in flat, open country. In other landscapes the sails can't catch the wind.
    Dutch Delfts windmills:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Andy, disregard my question is more for the others, as I don’t know much about this myself.

This reminds me a little of Ola’s milk pitcher from awhile ago. Hers was not blue though. That was Bohemian. Is that possible?

Andy111 likes this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi i need help - yes, it could be Bohemian. Without a mark you can't really rule any country out. Although as Any Jewelry pointed out it's unlikely to be Dutch as they would have portrayed the windmills as they are seen in Holland. It's also possible that the box was produced by one company and decorated by another. The French frequently did (and still do) that.
    Don

Andy111, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

Thank you Don! :)
    I think to my amateur eye, it looks nicely painted.

Andy111 and dgbjwc like this.
  11. i need help

12. Cronker

Cronker Active Member

There’s a ton of stories about the help being told to take something from the house when they move on.
    “Thanks, ex-boss, I’ll have that Faberge Egg, ta!”

silverthwait, Andy111, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. Andy111

Andy111 New Member

14. i need help

Yes difficult to say for sure, and that doesn’t mean it wasn’t used elsewhere, but if your looking for a needle in a haystack, I guess maybe start there. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted