Looking for Info on Ceramic Crackle Glaze Plate with Rooster

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by R Ewing, Mar 2, 2023.

1. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

I'm finally getting ready to sell off some of my things but I cannot find anything to compare to this plate. I must have gotten it at an estate sale some years ago. It sure seems old, and has dirt embedded in a pore on front, more pores on back, and inside a glaze chip on back. Glaze has worn away from some of the edges. Not sure if colors will come through right, but it is a bluish/yellowish slightly greenish cast.

Diameter is about 9.25" or 23.5cm. The rims rise up fairly high, height when laid flat is about 1.25" or 33mm. It has softly glazed raised hatch marks, 5 strokes per group with one large and 4 small strokes, above and left/right of rooster and similarly below.

The only thing similar I can find online is the Song Ge Ware, celadon type items but none of them have chickens. The chicken design here is almost graphic, a simple shape body and feet, and some flourish to the feathers (note the round balls between feathers for artistic effect.).

Interesting piece, I bought because I liked it but I don't know it's story. Anyone?

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

IMG_2521Sm.jpg
    IMG_2522SM.jpg
    IMG_2523SM.jpg
    IMG_2524Sm.jpg
    IMG_2526SM.jpg
    Very nice pottery.
    I took the liberty of inserting your pictures as full-sized images so people don't have to do all the tedious clicking back and forth on the tiny thumbnails.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted