Featured Looking for help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by xx_Jennifer_xx, Sep 14, 2022.

1. xx_Jennifer_xx

xx_Jennifer_xx New Member

I just moved to Oregon and went to an antique show and purchased this horse. I am not sure if it's porcelain or ceramic but I wanted to find out who made it and exactly how old it is. The only noteable things I can see is the number 2211 on the belly and a possible 48 stamped on the inside of the back leg. If anyone could assist me i'd greatly appreciate it!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @xx_Jennifer_xx & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

You might want to check out Lefton (they were importers & did not produce the figurines).

judy, Any Jewelry, laura9797 and 2 others like this.
  3. xx_Jennifer_xx

Thank you for the welcome! I greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for the suggestion i have been trying that one and while some look similar nothing exact from Lefton, I'll keep checking though. I am thinking the 2211 on the belly could symbolize a limited edition but I am still coming up empty.

*scratches head*

I'm thinking it could be from some company in Japan, the eyes seem to match some others i've searched but still no luck

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. xx_Jennifer_xx

yeah it's similiar but still not finding something exact this little thing is a huge mystery haha. what a headache

bercrystal likes this.
  6. xx_Jennifer_xx

AHH
    i found it finallly
    Vintage 1950's-1960's Lefton Porcelain Arabian Horse Figurine

the lefton was right.. i feel silly

thank you guys sooo much!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A good researcher needs a critical eye and mind.;)
    And welcome, Jennifer.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I never would have guessed Lefton. Goes to show how little I know and how much the other boardies here know.

xx_Jennifer_xx and bercrystal like this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Me, too. My first thought was Napco.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Small point. All porcelain is ceramic. Not all ceramic is porcelain. ;)

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

There is nothing to feel silly about. :happy::happy:

My guess was more of a SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess ;)) than anything because I was too tired to do any searching. However, when I saw the numbers on the belly my first thought was they looked like how Lefton used to do their numbers. In other words, I got lucky as it could have been sold by any number of companies that imported stuff from Japan at the time such as the ones that were mentioned. ;):smuggrin:

This article might help you out.

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-ceramic-and-porcelain/

12. xx_Jennifer_xx

HAHA well it definitely ended up being a great guess and I finally found it, it's nice to know how old it is and that it's something collectible. Seeing as I only paid $10 for it at some home and garden show here in Salem, Oregon. I love horses but having 2 crazy new hyper kittens running all over the place makes it hard to collect fragile items and display them in my room.

Thanks for the link 'cause It's so difficult to figure out porcelain from ceramic lol

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ceramic is the generic term for anything made from clay, including porcelain, bone china, earthenware et al. So it's everything.

xx_Jennifer_xx and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted