Locations On Double Sided Oil On Masonite

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 17, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Both sides are painted but don't know if by the same artist.
    Not signed. Doubt they were done by an advanced artist but possibly by someone with a bit of training?
    Any suggestions on the locations?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    One side reminds me of Monticello. The other some where in England.
    greg

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Yes, that is Monticello. The other could be any castle ruins in Europe. The shape reminds me of Goodrich Castle in England, but I don't know if it's on the water.

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Interesting. If those are indeed the locations, the paintings were either done by different artists or by the same one but maybe one or both of the paintings were done from a photo or other image?
    Unless, the artist carried the board with him around the world.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The river one doesn't look English to me. Church spire is totally wrong, as is the "castle" shape. Looks more Rheinish, or maybe Arnhem, Luxembourg, somewhere like that.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I paint pictures of other countries when I get home. I don't paint them while I'm there. Also, a lot of artists paint from photos - either their own or ones they find in books or online. Bear is right - the background looks more Rhinish.

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'd bet money that one side is a scene along the Danube in Austria, where there are many locations with castles or Roman ruins in the hills overlooking towns. In a quick check, I was unable to find that exact type of church spire with ruins in the background-possibly the church burned down since painting was done, but lots of possible locations like Durnstein with both ruins and church spires. Could be along the Rhine in Germany too, but go find that exact type of spire.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd call the architectural style of the building palladian, if that helps.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Danube makes sense, especialyl with that river barge.

10. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

The first painting could be St. Goar (of St. Goarshausen) along the River Rhine. Not 100% sure, but I just passed this last Monday and the painting made me think of that right away.

11. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's not uncommon for a travelling artist to use both sides...

13. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Could be, but maybe the person who painted these, painted these paintings after they got back from their travels, following sketches. Just as a thought.

14. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Judging by the pictures the artist was not very good.

Draft saved Draft deleted