Featured Living Room Tour Part Dos

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ghopper1924, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Here's the other half of the tour. Things are getting dark as we've got a storm brewing.
    First up is the sofa: A Victorian interpretation of a Duncan Phyfe Neoclassical design. In front of it is a large turtle top walnut aesthetic movement center table ca. 1885. This form is usually found with Rococo and Renaissance Revival tables; I've never seen an aesthetic movement table like this. It supports a bride basket ca. 1890 and a recent Mark Hopkins bronze of a heron.
    1.jpg
    Next is an Art Deco channel back chair with a duck down cushion ca. 1935; it's been in the family since then. Very comfortable. The parlor table is an aesthetic movement walnut table with a flower finial by the Abernathy Furniture Company of Kansas City ca. 1875. The German crosses on the valence celebrate German Unity under Bismark in 1871. The table has a gold electroplated Waterbury Nantes clock from 1915, a Santos figure ca. 1840, another Santos figure ca. 1670, and a Pairpoint Olympic Torch lamp ca. 1915, with a base and shade made of glass and entirely hand painted. 2.jpg
    The oak bookcase is built in and has volumes by William Gibson, Richard Russo, Harlan Ellison, a set of Charles Dickens from 1867, and some Robertson Davies, among others. There is also a Swiss music box with a rosewood case ca. 1860.
    3.jpg
    Next is an English walnut console table ca. 1870, resting against the back of the sofa. On it are an aesthetic movement jardiniere from France ca. 1880 with painting attributed to Theodore Deck, and a brass banquet lamp from England ca. 1870. 4.jpg
    More books in another oak built-in. Here we have a full collection of Winston Churchill in volumes bound in vellum. I've also got a full two shelves of one of my favorite authors, Joyce Carol Oates. There are other things, too, including some Christmas ornaments by Kansas City artist Irma Starr and a silver service from Connecticut, which has been in the family since 1920.
    5.jpg
    Best for last IMO :) Again, I apologize for the dark image, but storm clouds are gathering.
    This is a rosewood etagere by J. and J. Meeks of New York, ca. 1855. It probably originated in their New Orleans "wareroom." It has piercework in the crest and the base uses the approach of multi-layering rosewood pioneered by John Henry Belter for lightness and strength. It supports an unlabeled sugar bowl ca. 1850, a blue vase in a cradle ca. 1900 from St. Louis, A 2006 vase from Tim Cotterill, a ca. 1900 thistle vase by Fritz Heckert painted by Dr. W. Meitzen, a Baccarat vase with a Kingfisher, an Austrian art glass vase by Pallme, Kornig and Habel, a couple of decanters, and a wax figure of Andromeda chained to a rock under a glass dome ca. 1895. She's supposed to be nude as in Greek myth, but she's nude in the Victorian sense, which means she's wearing her long underwear. One of a kind, as far as I know. 6.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

For me it has gotta be the Andromeda. Could we get a closeup when the light returns?

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Wow so much to like with the new photos. That chair near the window looks just right for relaxing in after a long day.

Do your neighbors know how lovely the interior of your home is? I would charge admission. :p
    Thanks for sharing.

Aquitaine and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Grateful as always for your kind comments, Pearls. Believe it or not we've only ever gotten feedback from one neighbor, who's from New York and likes what she sees. The others who's seen it don't have a lot to say, which may be saying something in and of itself.

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

@Bronwen :

Here's a couple of closeups. She's not missing her left arm, although it may appear to be the case. I've taken a closeup of the "chains." I assume you're familiar with the story?

If anyone out there is an expert on these parlor dome figures, do you have a ballpark for value on this one? We've had it for years, but still have no idea if we need to insure it, or any vague idea what it might be worth. THANKS!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SO MUCH TO TAKE IN!!!!! LOVING the blue shade on the brass banquet lamp on the table behind the sofa! Have you READ ALL those books??! Wax dolls are SO fragile!! How on earth did you find her?? Mom had one a long time ago, and I have NO IDEA what she sold for!!

Bronwen, Ghopper1924 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

That lamp was one of our first antiques, years ago. I've read almost all of the books, but only about 5 of the Churchill books; I bought the set last December. They can be somewhat slow going.

Aquitaine, Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can't think what other maiden would be chained up that way, but no rock? No monster? One of my nicest cameos is a signed French one of the head of Perseus after Canova.

Ghopper1924 and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

There is a "rock", in fact she's standing on it, barefoot, another clue that she's supposed to be "naked," Victorian style. The "rock" is there in the lower picture, but it's hard to see since it's so dark.
    No monster though. Evidently there was not enough room under the dome for that, too.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted