Featured LIVE AUCTIONEERS just sent a new link to me....I took a quick peek..... I

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

have to laugh/cry at just HOW MANY Shalimar - exact same perfume bottles Mom threw out over the years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

SHALIMAR PERF BOTTLES.jpg

Darkwing Manor, judy, SBSVC and 3 others like this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I used to sell the heck out of those. Many don't know they are made by Lalique and Baccarat. (I've seen them marked both ways). Every time I would find one at the flea Market I would buy it. Would flip it right away on eBay! If I find one now I would buy it. Even though the prices have fallen from when I used to sell them, they will still bring a decent amount.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Same here, Aqui! My Mom wore it for years and routinely tossed them, too... I always HATED the scent (way too heavy & strong) but those bottle were so pretty!

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Always gave me wicked migraines, although I had a hard time convincing Mom of it!!! But she finally believed me!!!:happy::happy: She wore about 3 heavy ones that did that to me, before she finally "lightened up" when I was around!!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Yeah, my mother wore it as well and I tried to convince her she was putting on too much, to no avail. Migraines galore from that scent.

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I used to wear Shalimar back in the day and I don't remember it being too strong. My mother taught me how to wear perfume so it would last -- dab, dab, dab, dab -- behind the ears and on the wrists. I stopped wearing much perfume when they came out with the sprays. You couldn't control the amount. I couldn't afford the eau d'parfum, I bought the eau d'cologne so no great bottles. No wonder the perfume was so expensive, paying for the bottle.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I still like Shalimar but don't wear perfume often. Too many folks are allergic. I do bust out some Youth Dew once in a while in the Winter. Mom hates the stuff, but I like anything that smells like I dumped a spice rack over my head.

Guerlain always did have the good bottles.

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and Aquitaine like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Everybody threw out the sometimes gorgeous boxes as soon as they brought the stuff home & then threw out the bottle when it was empty. That is why the commercial perfume bottle collectors will sometimes pay stupid money for some of the older bottles with or without the juice but with the box. They weren't too & many of them did not survive.

pearlsnblume and SBSVC like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I took glass beads from Shalimar boxes the local Marshall's was tossing in the trash. Someone nicked the bottles and left the boxes.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

My mother, too, adored Shalimar, as does my husband. I like the more floral Guerlain scents (Champs Elysees, Jardin de Bagatelle, Moscow, etc.), but I am finding many discontinued.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted