Little unmarked bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by JanieB, Aug 21, 2024.

1. JanieB

JanieB Active Member

Hi everyone, just looking for some info on this little bracelet from you experts please. It has no markings at all and I have no idea if it’s silver or not but, if not, what is it? It has such a strange way of closing – has anyone seen this before? The little parts have been made so well I don’t know what to make of it. I’d love to know where it’s from and the approximate date - it belonged to my grandmother and was discarded in her button box! It’s very small – measuring just 2 inches in diameter and just ¼ inch thick. Any information would be really great – thank you!

bracelet1.jpg

bracelet2.jpg bracelet3.jpg

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those closures are common on Middle Eastern, North African and Turkish pieces.

reader, JanieB, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Also on Balkan and Italian Orientalist pieces.

I am leaning towards Morocco, but could we see the decorations on the sides please? A bit of a clean would help to see what they are.;) Nothing too rigorous, just so it isn't a dark 'something'.
    And search again for assay or maker's marks. They can look like tiny dents, often located near the hinge or near the closure, sometimes both.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
    reader, JanieB, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

I’d forgotten the Balkan ones.

5. JanieB

JanieB Active Member

Morning - thank you both very much for your replies. So, I've given it a little clean just with some water/washing up liquid in a small area. Do you think it would be OK to use a silver cloth on it or?? Here are a couple of close up pictures of the decoration. Would you have any idea how old it might be? I've been searching for markings and I've managed to locate 2 small marks on the actual 'clasp' - the long part. I can't make out what they say though - maybe it's enough for you to recognise them? Thanks again for both of your help.

bracelet4.jpg

bracelet5.jpg

bracelet6.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

A silver or sunshine cloth will do no harm at all.

JanieB likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Thank you, it is what I thought.:) It is a small Moroccan Amazigh (Berber) "shams o qamar" bracelet, a 'sun and moon' bracelet.
    'Sun and moon' bracelets usually have alternating gold and silver motifs, but some are all silver.
    Many of them are said to have been made in in the royal city of Fez, often by Berber Jewish silversmiths.
    It could be 19th century, depending on the marks.
    Unfortunately not, because many old marks used in Morocco are round or close to round.
    When you look at them though a loupe, do you see concentric rings, with the outer ring having squiggles or dots?
    Ditto. It will look much happier. Don't overdo it though, it is nice to see some contrast.

reader, Sedona, mirana and 1 other person like this.
  8. JanieB

JanieB Active Member

Thank you both. I never expected to get such a full description of what the bracelet is - it's amazing! So thank you Any Jewelry for that! I have been trying to identify the hallmark but its really difficult to see, even with a loupe. It doesn't seem to be round and I can't see loops - it looks more like an upright rectangle with the mark inside looking more like suns rays or an old style gothic P or R. But honestly, that's more of a guess than anything else. Ownedbybear - I've given it a good but gentle clean with a silver cloth and it looks much better - I can confirm it looks to be silver! I suspect it is very old as my grandmother was born in 1904 but how she came by something from Morocco is a mystery. Perhaps it was even a generation before?! I have assumed it is not of much value? I am not selling it anyway as I really like it and just wish I knew it's history. I'm so happy to know what it is!

reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

It has value. If you google "Moroccan sun and moon bracelet" you'll get an idea. Look at the all-silver ones, but bear in mind that yours isn't as thick/high as most. It is lovely though, and special for what it is and because it was your grandmother's.
    Jewellery often travels more than people do.;) It may have been brought over from Morocco by someone else, and ended up in the second hand circuit or a pawn shop in your grandmother's home town.

reader, Dessert58 and JanieB like this.
  10. JanieB

JanieB Active Member

Thanks, I've had a quick google and found some similar ones - it's very nice to know it has a monetary value as well as a sentimental one! To think it has been sitting with a bunch of old buttons for many, many years! My grandmother was a huge fan of going to bazaars and sales so I suspect you're right in saying she found it close to home. It was just so beautifully made, and so delicate, it caught my imagination! Thank you again!!

11. JanieB

JanieB Active Member

Hello again, I am delighted to say that my son has been able to get good photos of the 2 marks on the bracelet. I was wondering if either of you would be able to identify them please? Thank you!

bracelet7.JPG

bracelet8.JPG

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Great job.:) The marks are worn, but I would say they are pre-1925 marks used by local assayers for the Sultan.
    Could be 19th century, but 1925 was the year that new marks were introduced, and these are older.

reader, JanieB and mirana like this.
  13. JanieB

JanieB Active Member

Hi Any Jewelry - that's really great, thank you so much! I now have so much info about my little bracelet which is at least 100 years old and somehow does have a feel of being even older. Your expertise on this is awesome! My knowledge, however, is not .... when you say local assayers for the Sultan, what did he then do with them? Were they just made for him to sell? I find the history fascinating!

14. Any Jewelry

The assayers assayed precious metal items so taxes could be paid over their sale. These particular assayers worked for the Sultan, so not for any of the European colonizing powers. The tax money went into the national coffers, which were controlled by the Sultan and his government.

reader and JanieB like this.
  15. JanieB

JanieB Active Member

Any Jewelry - thank you so much for explaining it to me. It's truly fascinating. I hope to discover other interesting jewelry pieces as I work my way through all of the wonderful things left from my family - none of huge value but all with stories I'm sure! Thanks again for all of your insight!!

16. Any Jewelry

We would love to see them. On a personal level great stories mean more than huge value, because that is how you connect with jewellery.:)

komokwa, JanieB and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted