Featured Little pot - NA, NA inspired, neither?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by J Dagger, May 14, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Didn’t even know I had this! I have a big box of things I bought from the super cool estate of a local artist. Full of fun stuff all wrapped up in packing paper. I packed it at the sale and haven’t unpacked in the close to a year since. There’s a stack of boxes on top of that box. Every time I take a few off looking for something I’ll take a mystery piece out of the big box and take a look. It’s like Christmas whenever I want. Last day of the sale I was just grabbing Willy nilly since it was all nice stuff and the prices were low. This pot popped out the other day. Doesn’t look very old. Any thoughts? Meant to resemble and old burnt NA pot maybe? FB198A5B-6D79-4A49-ACF7-E1FBA6810BFF.jpeg 06482B35-59E1-4A4F-9BEE-7D3B1954C741.jpeg B26AD977-489C-4A31-B261-3937ADBE4DFB.jpeg

2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I admire your restraint: if I had un-looked-through boxes, I'd not be able to resist looking through them, now!

That's an attractive pot. It's likely Mexican or Central American. A fluted rim like that typically is. And that shape is common in Oaxaca blackware.

3. J Dagger

Story checks out! They were big fans of Mexico and its arts. I have many such boxes actually. This is just one of the more fun ones! If you can name a type of thing, chances are I have a box or two of it that I’ve never seen. Some since I put it in the box some literally never seen in person, someone else put it in the box and I bought it. There’s a box of at least ten good Inuit soapstones I bought online and never opened. That’s going to be a fun one. It’s been there for a couple years now I think. I was just visiting my parents a couple weeks ago. My mom found a box addressed to me in one of her drawers from around five years ago. I opened it up and found 20ozt of silver bullion. There’s also a box with a 1ozt gold coin in it somewhere I never opened. It gives me an odd satisfaction knowing that I have the stuff and will enjoy looking at it someday, just not today.

lovewrens, Happy!, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I gotta say, that is amazing!

J Dagger likes this.
  5. J Dagger

In the end it really just comes down to buying more than I should. I’m also pretty patient though lol.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I usually at least look at what I bought once before I pack it away ;) I was thinking about something I know I own the other day. Would like to put my hands on it but I really have no idea of where it is. It will be great fun unpacking boxes some day and I might actually put together some sets I have bought in pieces over the years.

Figtree3, J Dagger, lovewrens and 3 others like this.
  7. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Oh my dear friends! It is so good to find I'm not alone! I've come to the conclusion that once you pack something in a tub or box it disappears! I've labeled tubs, put like things together, tried organizing and reorganizing, I still end up with containers I haven't looked at in a long time. And now I see I'm in good company here. It's good to have like-minded companions!

Linda

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

all to say , that's how our Davey finds...the stuff he finds....!!!!:happy:;);)

J Dagger and Potteryplease like this.
  9. J Dagger

Out o
    Out of sight, out of mind is very real in this case. It’s a good part of the reason I live in piles of clutter. If I can’t see it then it doesn’t exist. I need to keep stuff laying out in order to photograph and list it. As soon as it’s in a box I’m onto to new purchases. Gotta see it everyday for it to count for me.

verybrad and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted