Little porcelain miniature figures sorta like Wades I'd please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sdcookie2, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Hiya all,
    Anyone know what these are?
    Thanks Steve PXL_20220730_231919602_copy_1024x576.jpg PXL_20220730_231924806_copy_1024x576.jpg PXL_20220730_231927339_copy_1024x576.jpg PXL_20220730_231934186_copy_1024x576.jpg

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If someone can identify the ethnicity, that's likely the best you can get. Probably souvenirs from that place.

judy likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

They do look like giveaways of some sort.Charming little things.

judy likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

PXL_20220730_231919602_copy_1024x576-gigapixel-art-scale-2_00x.jpg

judy likes this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they are small santons, commonly used for Provençal Nativity scenes. The porcelain ones are also used for a special Epiphany cake.

My parents had a set of the regular pottery ones. About 50 santons depicting different professions and activities, a mountain village, and several buildings including a scale model of the "Moulin de Daudet", a famous windmill near Arles. They also had a santon of French Gypsy patron Sara Kali, and Gypsy pilgrims.:)
    At Christmas they were all displayed on a blanket chest.;)

So you get an idea, this is part of a set of 1000 santons:

upload_2022-7-31_14-29-14.png
    https://www.sfx-paris.fr/la-creche-aux-milles-santons/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Doing a translate of "santons", I get "figurines".
    Searching eBay France for santon, they mostly seem to be naive figurines of peasantry, a lot of them associated with Provence. My guess is that "beans" refers to the size.

Edit: I wrote this hours ago and never posted it. Then I come back and post it only to find the question already answered.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Santons are figurines, but the word 'santon' is Provençal for 'little saint'.

Santons are not just the peasantry, they include figures of one or more Arlesienne ladies, a mayor, a priest, and other 'dignitaries'. All of them Provençal (and Camarguais).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    moreotherstuff and antidiem like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Santons are not just tiny, btw, they come in different sizes.
    I have a small collection of bigger santons, including a few collectionable ones by santon artist Simone Jouglas. The costumes are proper costumes, slightly larger than Barbie size.

Mine are in boxes, but these are also by Simone Jouglas:
    upload_2022-7-31_15-31-0.jpeg
    upload_2022-7-31_15-28-40.jpeg

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Never seen such large figurines in New Orleans, but maybe Mardi Gras over in France or Brazil? Traditionally, a baby figurine is used in a King Cake. McKenzies did make King Cakes with teeny tiny ceramic queens at one point, but they were about an inch or less in height, like the babies. Since the 1970s, the babies have been made of plastic. I think these are just little doll souvenirs, Santons as AJ said.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I have to go digging for my Gypsy ribbon seller santon. She is the most beautiful I have ever seen, and fortunately I could afford her.:happy:
    If I find her, I will post her.

13. Any Jewelry

Not souvenirs though, a local tradition. Around Christmas time you see them everywhere in Provence, in homes, community halls, etc.

antidiem and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Now that I know what they are for I like them even more !

15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks, AJ, yes and I agree with Johnny too! :)

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted