Featured little French (?) sewing box...

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by shamster, Aug 21, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

Found this on etsy listed at less that 30 quids. It's fantastic :joyful: though inner tray and lining is missing, but it could be easily converted into a jewellery box
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Boland, johnnycb09, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Cute box. The inside looks awfully newish to me. Id have still bought it cause I love a box!

mirana and Boland like this.
  3. shamster

I think it’s been sanded at some point, perhaps after it lost its paper lining. A similar one is dated to early 19th century, but not sure how long they’ve been sticking to that design

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Nice looking box. But I agree looks very ‘fresh’ inside. Overall I wouldn’t have thought a 100% antique.

5. shamster

Gus Tuason and komokwa like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Well to me it doesn’t look almost identical at all. That box looks fairly bigger and is certainly much older. The wood used also look different (to me that looks like walnut) The size of your box makes me think more of a small ‘cigar box size’ Doesn’t look like it can fit a full set of sewing tools.

7. shamster

I checked the size stated in the link, it’s just 4cm longer than mine. Also you can find the structure presented inside, which is used to hold the tray but now it’s all gone.

8. shamster

But again let’s ask @808 raver ’s opinion

9. shamster

A size comparison with a palais royale tray 08b6a94a414f4a51f587ff533c132024.jpeg
    The slot in this tray is larger than usual, i.e. the length of needle case slot is 9.5cm but most needle cases are less than 8cm

10. johnnycb09

What is that written on the lid ?

11. shamster

I’m not sure, it does look french to me:
    1912fb1495987d7db30e87ca66c3c7a9.jpeg ecfded40e4c25b713205cd79a31c38c0.jpeg

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd bet that box had a fabric lining that protected the wood. They seem to have stripped the interior, and if it was totally protected this whole time it would be no wonder the wood looks new.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

How does the bottom look? Old boxes freshly missing their liners or not often used can look pretty fresh inside.

Boland and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. shamster

Yes that's what I was saying, and you can actually see trace of glue, so has probably been sanded off. It could be fabric or paper lining, my another french sewing box is lined with paper at the bottom

J Dagger likes this.
  15. shamster

The bottom is properly worn 5.jpg
    I guess the lining has gone for a long time, as the writing inside is too fancy for a modern hand lol

Any Jewelry, J Dagger and johnnycb09 like this.
  16. shamster

But I now assume the little handle on the lid could be a replacement as it has different level of oxidization and strange style. Also, the tiny handle seems unfit to lift a lid that big and heavy. Probably there to replace a missing name panel ( what is it called?)

17. johnnycb09

Well that certainly changes my opinion ! Now that I really look at that signature I see its old ink as well, I agree possibly French,I wonder if its the maker ?

Boland likes this.
  18. shamster

Till someone who can decode it appears :happy: but I’m saying French because of the type of the lock, not sure if the writing is french too!

808 raver likes this.
  19. J Dagger

Jorgen or Jorgan for last name? Dorgen/Dorgan maybe.

shamster likes this.
  20. J Dagger

Pretty unlikely that’s what the bottom would look like if it were super new.

The woodwork inside looked a bit sloppy to me but if meant to be covered with a lining as I imagine is the case that could be forgiven.

The handle does seem awful odd and there was definitely something else there at some point based on the patina discrepancy. When I first saw the handle I thought it was going to be a humidor or something. Look’s meant to vent almost.

Were you looking for escutcheon? Name plate?

Boland likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted