Featured Little blue pewter vase-age

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Boland, Aug 9, 2024.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

0B5079E8-E636-44D4-8E80-8FBE76A73683.jpeg FF0DEB44-85C7-4255-8B5D-3209D9FB12DA.jpeg BAE1095D-5409-4E0E-B47B-EA29E500F170.jpeg 415C985B-3298-432D-A586-9006DD86C4A1.jpeg DC83C265-016A-489D-8855-EA2149C0FB7B.jpeg Hi all,good to have the forum back. I was thinking this is pretty little vase is vintage? Has a good solid weight to it. Standing 10cm tall about 6,5cm wide at the bottom. So vintage or newer? Thank you and keep well

mmarco102, Marote, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

More likely tarnished silver. Certainly old. No markings in the metalwork?

*crs*, pearlsnblume, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Could it be silver overlay. Link to similar that came up in a reverse image search. The lot was passed. I used DeepL translator for the description. It was in German.

Screenshot_20240809-094838~2.png
    Lot 5056: JUGENDSTIL, 1 PAIR OF VASES
    Description
    France, around 1900, blue glass with floral silver overlay. H 9.5 cm. - Signs of age and use.
    Notes
    Provenance: - Private collection of the banker Suzanne Henriette Marguerite Braley (1893-1970), who lived in Shanghai ca. 1910-1920.
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/jugendstil-1-paar-vasen-5056-c-17b4d5191d

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Great. Thank you for the reply. No markings. I will check again.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

Somewhere on that metal work it probably has a tiny little stamped 925, Sterling, or both.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and Boland like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wow,many thanks for your comment,efforts and the translating. Much appreciated! That is also a beautiful pair.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If it is French it will have French marks, which are tiny.

8. LauraGarnet02

Oh I didn't think of that! French marks would not be Sterling 925 would they..?

komokwa, Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No they wouldn't. They would be tiny indentations that you would need a loupe to see and a list of comparable French marks to decipher.:playful:
    This kind of thing:

https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html

komokwa, Boland and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. LauraGarnet02

Haha. Microscopic marks. Dastardly!:pompous:

komokwa, Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I have some doubt that this piece or the unsold pair linked are silver deposit (now usually called silver overlay), that is an electrodeposition of silver on glass, ceramic, or any material that can be submerged in the bath, it's attached to the glass and even if thick and engraved, it will still be flat. This decoration looks to be cast, the foot attached to the overlay is also not consistent with silver overlay and to my eye, appears more pewter than silver. Silver overlay can be separate and shaped to the piece as well, but it's also typically sheet silver, offhand, can't recall seeing cast silver overlay, though have certainly seen intricate cast silver with glass liners - should mention if silver deposit was done in Germany, they typically more often correctly marked it '1000/1000' since it's actually fine silver rather than sterling (American silver deposit is also sometimes marked 999/1000).

Bohemian art glass often had beautiful pewter overlay, this piece has a somewhat similar foot:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/148080043_loetz-style-art-nouveau-vase

pewter-overlay-vase.jpg

I have the trivet shown at center in this 1917 ad, it's definitely not silver deposit and described as "Sterling silver frames over glass", note the prices are much higher than the silver deposit pieces at left and right:

silver-deposit-trivets-1917-DL (1).jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
    kentworld, Bakersgma, Marote and 6 others like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree this is not silver deposit. I have always made a distinction between silver deposit and silver overlay, with the latter being thicker and applied mechanically. This looks somewhat like a silver overlay Heisey piece I have that is marked Sterling.

thriftglass25.jpg

I note in the auction description for the pair that the consignor lived in Shanghai for a decade. Might this be Asian in origin? The basic shape would seem to fit.

kentworld, Boland, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting comment and great information. Thank you for help. I will read it again so I can understand all the info.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
  14. DragonflyWink

Sweet - I like the motif and I've always liked that Heisey pattern, especially without a star base, the creamer could stack on top. This would have originally been sold as silver deposit, because that's what it was called for decades.

Can see what you mean about the shape, but to my eye, the piece looks European, German doesn't seem unlikely...

~Cheryl

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I luv lively debate !!!
    No ego's...... no attitude..... just " hey, how about this ! "

It's guys & gals like you all, that keep me coming back here !!!!

( oh...and the occasional dust up !! ;););):eek:..):hilarious:

NanaB, Any Jewelry, Boland and 2 others like this.
  16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I appreciate all the comments/opinions and interesting information (it’s good to be learning again,what an absolutely great forum!! :)) Good to learn about silver deposit vs silver overlay. Anyway just for interest sake I double checked (with a light and magnifying glass) and no markings.

I also did some follow-up reading. Personally Iam back to thinking: pewter.

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree with Cheryl, absolutely not overlay. It’s more like caged glass. Late nineteenth bohemian to my eye.

Boland and verybrad like this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Noted.Thank you for your comment.

19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I have thought of silver overlay and silver deposit similarly to Brad. But I won't wonder now if something is called silver deposit and it looks like overlay to me -- Cheryl has set me straigt!

20. DragonflyWink

Doesn't really make a difference anymore, the 'silver overlay' term is common usage now, but the distinctions that seem to have developed over the years just aren't right, regardless of when it was made, or the thickness or if it's engraved or not, the silver was added to the glass or other material through electrodeposition, just as plating on metal is done. I have hundreds of ads, articles, etc. from the 1890s through the mid 20th century that refer to it as 'silver deposit', somewhere around the '50s, 'silver deposit' seemed to go out of use, often replaced in ads as 'silver on crystal', and other descriptions. Here are a few pages of ads posted by Trev on 925-1000:

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49285

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 11, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted