Listing better art...higher start price, low start, or BIN?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Salvatorparadise, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Salvatorparadise

Salvatorparadise Active Member

Hey folks, I have more than a dozen better pieces of art by well-listed artists mostly mid 20th century back to early 1800s, to sell. I'm debating whether I should start them really low and let them rip, start maybe at half of my low estimate and let them rip, or try a BIN w/offer option.

I expect the pieces to go between $300 and probably $3000. I see good art on eBay sell using each of the three approaches above. I'm wondering what experience folks here have had? I guess each has its benefits...any thoughts?

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The only art I've seen sell good on ebay is that which was shilled

Often the shill was the winner and you see it listed again and again

3. Salvatorparadise

hmmm, i've sold some art and i've started it at 99 cents and let it rip and done ok, but just a few pieces here and there

4. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Hope I don't sound like I stalk your listings, but I remember when you had that sweet little Ben Austrian style painting. I remember thinking it should have gone higher. Sometimes good things go overlooked on Ebay for one reason or another....some just fall through the cracks. If I wanted to protect my investment or just ensure I get the best price for a fine item, I'd start it high. If it doesn't sell that way, then sell through a BIN.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have sold a fair amount of art on ebay with only moderate success. I think low start is the best way to actually get bids and sell but holds the greatest amount of risk. I tend to list at the least amount I will take at auction, with a start price at 1/2 - 1/3 of what it maybe should be worth. Rarely has this strategy produced bidding wars and sell through rates are lower than one might expect. If it doesn't sell first time around, I may relist with a BIN added. After that, higher fixed price with BO option for a longer period. Even so, I have a lot of art I have just taken off the market because I don't want to give it away.

This guy on ebay (samuelcollection), seems to be one of the more successful sellers of low-mid range art. His auction strategy is a relatively low start price with fairly high shipping. His sell-through rate is very good at about 90% (auctions only). I don't know how much of this is due to having a following but he always seems to get bids. I have bought a few things from him but, more often than not, things go higher than I am willing to go since I am buying for resale. I would think the high shipping rates would be off-putting but it doesn't seem to hinder him too much.

I am sure he has bargains slip through and unsold works but it probably all evens out with some above average sales. He seems to have an endless supply and that may be key. If I were more serious about ebay sales and had consistent supply, I would probably emulate this model.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Art-/550/m.html?item=400837692139&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_ssn=samuelcollection

6. Salvatorparadise

thanks brad, that info is helpful! I bought all this art at pretty low prices so I think i'll start low and let it go!

7. moontymes

Brad,
    Where would the guy (samuelcollection) get such an endless supply of decent art? I don't see how he would get that kind of inventory no matter what area of the country he would live in. Most of the art that I see at estate sales and auctions around here (metro Nashville area and surrounding areas) is very, very bad even though the homes are very nice/expensive

8. Salvatorparadise

tons of decent art seems to sell pretty low at a lot of auctions out there

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he could have horded those things for years ....and years,,,

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

He is in San Diego. I am sure that is a much better area for buying art than here in the Midwest. My experience with the Midwest is that, for the most part, people don't have any real appreciation for art and money doesn't necessarily buy taste. I am somewhat fortunate in that I live in a community with a major university where people are educated, well-traveled, and are constantly moving in and out. The university also has an active art program with good artists coming through regularly. Even so, I can buy art very cheaply since the true locals could care less about it.

Take what I have and multiply it 50 times or so and you might approximate San Diego. With the military presence, universities, retirees, long art history, etc., the Southern CA area would probably be one of the best places to be in to purchase art. I don't know what his set up is but he could have people working with/for him to find as much as he does. I have watched him for years and he has steadily grown in the volume of art he lists. He has built quite a nice business.

11. Salvatorparadise

i bought that austrian for $18 so $600 was good!

mymysharona43 and moontymes like this.
  12. moontymes

Oh well, then that was a pretty good price. For some reason I thought it sold for much less. I guess I got it confused with another piece. If it was unsigned you did pretty well!

13. Salvatorparadise

yeah, unsigned. i was really happy w/it. well, we'll see how my stuff does. i have a bunch!

14. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

It all depends on who and what you have.

Works such as these...

MATILDA BROWNE.jpg

ESTHER GROOME.jpg

...are pretty desirable in the current market and can sell in less than or just over 24-hours. Both were listed at BIN/obo (paid: $14 & $20. sold for: $1.6K & $1.8K+).

Works such as this...

DRAWING 002-001.JPG

...another version of this: http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear..._object_details.aspx?objectId=741230&partId=1 aren't as desirable (or worth what they were 7 - 10 years ago) in today's market and will sit for a while if placed at BIN/obo.....unless priced really, really low. With that being said, I'll most likely list at double what I paid and just let it rip auction style to move it quickly (forgot how much I paid for this drawing, but doubt it was over $20 or $30).

So in my opinion, it really depends on who and what you have that helps determine how to list.

15. Salvatorparadise

nuff_said, thanks for your points! I have a real variety of stuff. Here is my fave:

Valoy Eaton. I gave $400.

valoy.jpg

I also bought this, going kind of out on a limb for $580. Just signed Lacroix.

french1.jpg

I paid a lot less for everything else!

16. Salvatorparadise

sometimes a portrait is so pretty that I just have to buy it :\

mymysharona43 likes this.
  17. moontymes

Yes, that portrait is beautiful.

18. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Yes, I know the feeling, picked-up a group one a while back dating from the same time period as your piece. Unfortunately, for the both of us Adrian, the portrait market is dead unless the piece is by a well respected artist and/or the sitter is well known. I still buy them here and there...if the price is right.

That Eaton is very well done.

19. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love that Eaton .My "secret" thrift where I used to find art was bought out by a national chain,so all I see now are glicee and cardboard prints . Not an etching or even sunday painter sees the front now ! If its signed its vapor.

20. Salvatorparadise

nothing good lasts forever!

Draft saved Draft deleted