Featured Limoges Stamp ID Help Request

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Repostmodernism, Feb 5, 2024.

1. Repostmodernism

Repostmodernism New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get some and any info about the blank that was used for this plate (antique Russian military-themed gift plate).

Backstory: this plate depicts Russian Empire soldiers of a specific unit, and is dedicated to 2 officers on the back of the plate. We can see the Limoge France AD (?) stamp on the back, which is very questionable, as we don't have any info in Russia on why would it be a French blank, and there is no info about French blanks being used at the alleged time of the inscription (1902). Russian Empire had a plenty of local porcelain manifacturers.

Questions that come in mind are:
    • Does anyone have any info on the "AD" stamp?
    • What would be the timeframe for the stamp?
    • Does anyone have any info about a French manifacture doing such military plates?
    • Is it possible that the plate was made in France upon an order from Russia?

Any help, thoughts or directions for research would be greatly appreciated!
    (I can see a plate that was sold on Ebay with the same "AD" stamp, but that's all I could find)

plate1.jpeg
    plate2.jpeg
    plate3.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's written in a Latin alphabet. Just don't ask me which, except not Polish, or one of the Western European ones. Lithuanian?

judy and komokwa like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not one I know either.
    Maybe Latvian? @Erik Aunapuu will be able to tell us if it is.

judy likes this.
  5. Repostmodernism

Thank you for the reply.
    The cursive text is in Russian, and dated to 1902, but it doesn’t seem relevant to this case. I’m interested in the Limoges France AD stamp.

Figtree3, komokwa, judy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Repostmodernism

Great find, thank you!

You mention the L’École Nationale des Arts Décoratifs de Limoges, very interesting! Did you find it having this or similar stamp?

Figtree3, komokwa and judy like this.
  7. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

What a beautifully painted piece! Why couldn’t a Russian have just been living in France during this time and had it commissioned there? Or just have visited France and brought back a box of porcelain they liked. When it came time to commission a piece maybe they just saved some money and gave the decorator what they already had rather than buying a new blank. For all we know it might not even be a blank. Maybe the black is covering a preexisting decorative border. I understand wondering why it came about though and maybe there is a more wide reaching reason.

Marote likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  11. Repostmodernism

kentworld and Marote like this.
  12. Repostmodernism

Indeed, it could be anything! We based our assumptions on what we knew about the topic, and basically wanted to get any more info we could get. Thank you!

This thread has been of great help, I appreciate everyone’s responses!

komokwa and Marote like this.
  13. nastina.nastea

nastina.nastea Well-Known Member

It is signed in Russian and it says the following (translated by lines):

"Colonel Shulman (or Shulpan, can't read clearly) and Captain Von Peter" (written in a circle and these might be the names of men that are on the plate).

1st Guards Artillery Brigade

Battery battery (it's a bit of taftology here, but it means kind of a battery group; sorry I'm not very good in military terminology)

Of His Imperial Majesty Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich

Year 1902"

There are few abbreviations/word cuts that I translated in full.

Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich was the younger brother of 2 Russian Emperors: Alexander I & Nicholas I.

Info from Wikipedia in regards of the 1st Guards Artillery Brigade and Duke Mikhail Pavlovich connection: The chief of the battalion was appointed Paul's (Russian Emperor) youngest son, Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich, then still a minor, whose entire future career was connected with artillery, and the battalion itself in March 1800 was named the Life Guards Artillery Battalion of His Imperial Highness Michael Pavlovich (but on March 14, 1801 became again just the Life Guards Artillery Battalion).

Who are Colonel Shulman (or Shulpan) and Captain Von Peter is a matter of further research)

But it looks like this plate is a part of the collection that was dedicated to some Russian Imperial military personalities and/or some significant dates in their military history.

14. nastina.nastea

nastina.nastea Well-Known Member

Ok, after brief research, it looks like I found both Colonel Shulman and Captain Von PeterS, I'm attaching link with Russian Wikipedia articles about both of them.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Шульман,_Рудольф_Густавович

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Петерс,_Александр_Фёдорович

Both of them became lieutenant-generals at some point of their career, which is quite a high military rank.

I still can't understand what means years 1844 & 1855 on the plate, but it must have something to do with the concept of the whole plates collection.

Figtree3, J Dagger, Marote and 2 others like this.
  15. Repostmodernism

Thank you very much!

16. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

bercrystal and Marote like this.
  17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, it does look like A D, and I suppose that A might be "academie" but I wouldn't have found it either. I'm not patient enough, LOL!

Marote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted