Limited Edition Alberto Vargas Print - Signature looks Printed?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 6, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this Alberto Vargas limited edition nude print at a thrift store today.
    2 problems:
    When I did a google search of signature it came up as a match to Vargas, but a search of the image didn't show a similar one - even on his website. Does anyone know the name of this piece?

Speaking of the signature - it looks almost printed? On the lower left the edition number looks like it MAY have been done in pencil, but - to me - not the signature.

Also the edition number says Esquire 48/50 - isn't esquire mean lawyer?

Is it signed or just signed in plate? Why would they print the signature on a limited edition - is this a copy/reprint of a limited edition?

Any information would be greatly appreciated - if real it his limited editions have some value!

ART PRINT VARGAS LIMITED EDITION 1AA.jpg ART PRINT VARGAS LIMITED EDITION 2AA.jpg ART PRINT VARGAS LIMITED EDITION 3A_AA.jpg ART PRINT VARGAS LIMITED EDITION 4AA.jpg ART PRINT VARGAS LIMITED EDITION 8AA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Ok, I shall give it a go - I think the signature is printed on. Vargas may have been one of the staff artists for Esquire Magazine and may have done a limited edition for those purposes. I think this is worth a lot of money. :)

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I have no explanation for the lack of an S on the signature. I have seen the one in the link before, so I think these are both Vargas girls.

5. journeymagazine

antidiem - I so hope you are right! Thank you!

6. journeymagazine

I can't find another to get a name/title. I have a exhibition poster of his and 'Lady with a red flower' comes up when I search that image - but my Hawaiian girl doesn't?

ART POSTER VARGAS ALBERTO 1AA.JPG

antidiem likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This appears to be the original. 1943 calendar image.

Debora

il_1140xN.3182305391_k61a.jpg

tie.dye.cat, antidiem and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

9. journeymagazine

Wow! Where did you find that?
    Thanks Deborah!

10. journeymagazine

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Key search words "Vargas," "Esquire," and "hula skirt."

Debora