Light blue Ardalt porcelain plates w/ raised white design - characters?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, May 12, 2015.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have 2 of these plates, both have the same design they are just mirror images. They are marked on the back 6413A & 6413B. They measure 8 3/8" across. I believe it is some type of scene from Greek Mythology but I do not know all of the characters. Does anyone recognize the characters or the scene?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :kiss:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Try Psyche and Cupid.
    This may be a copy of a Wedgwood design. You'd have to check. I'm just going on memory.

3. bercrystal

Thanks Pat!!

I did think the scene involved Cupid, but when you do a search for an Ardalt Cupid you get all types of results.
    Funny thing is I saw no other plates like this listed.
    Peggy

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You might try "pate de verre" as keywords. Don't know if that will help.

5. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

Hmm, Cupid and ? The company did a whole line of Cupid/cherubs in that color scheme and decorative style.
    vintage-japanese-porcelain-cherub-cigarette-trinket-box-ashtray-ardalt-lenwile

And in case you don't have the maker yet: Lenwile China - Ardalt (made in China).
    The double A mark of Ardalt A, seems to have been a trademark for tableware, dishes, jars and vases registered by ARDALT Inc. Corp., 95 Madison AVE., New York and first used in 1945. On some pieces the trademark 'Lenwile' occurs which was also registered by the ARDALT Inc., in 1945, for use on figurines and statuettes. Both marks have been used on Japanese pieces. The name Ardalt occurs also on pieces from other countries.

Here is what the foil sticker looks like on yours if not missing/damaged.

Great resource on 20th C. Japanese marks (and info. that is above) here:

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

Cheers,
    FBR

cartoongirl and cxgirl like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

These plates look like porcelain, pate de verde is a glass process, isn't it?

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, I think pate sur pate is more accurate.

8. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

Ardalt Importing Inc was founded by Leon Ardetti and Wiliam Alton. Derivation of the name Lenwile is probably from their first names (my opinion). Derivation of Ardalt is obvious. They claim to be the first American importer "into" Japan after WW2.

My personal opinion is the Lenwile mark is usually found on better quality wares from Ardalt. The shown NC mark is also indicative of better quality MIJ wares (in general and in my opinion). The NC mark appears on a variety of importers Made in Japan wares from around the 1950s.

Foil labels from Ardalt were used some time after 1952-53. Previous marks were "ink" marks, not foil labels. Examples of the early Ardalt marks can be found on ebay. Ardalt Occupied Japan items are always ink stamped and don't have Ardalt foil labels.

In 1955-56 they were still at Madison Avenue, by 1968 at 11 East 26th Street. They also had showrooms (in 1968) in Chicago (Mercandise Mart), Dallas (Trade Mart), Atlanta (Merchandise Mart), and Denver (Merchandise Mart).

Ardalt is best known for its Made in Japan (MIJ) ceramics from the 1950s and 1960s. Being importers they also sold wares from other countries like Italy. These wares also included metal and glass as well as the much more common ceramic items.

Ardalt is/was a major MIJ importer and competitior of Lefton China. Of the many MIJ (Made in Japan) importers from the 1950s (there were probably more than 100) Ardalt was probably in the top 5.

I can not help with the scene on the items above. But no doubt it was a copy of Wedgwood ceramics at least style-wise.

cxgirl and gregsglass like this.
  9. bercrystal

Thank you everyone for your information!! :kiss::kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted