Licence holder

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Paul murphy, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Paul murphy

Paul murphy Member

Anyone know who is the furniture maker of BS1960 2084..its a art deco style drinks cabinet?

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe contact British Standards (whoever, or wherever they may be)? Maybe they have an archive?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, there is no master list of licenses.

Debora

moreotherstuff likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So you would pretty much have to find another piece, by the same license holder, with either a label or a stamp.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Debora

6. Paul murphy

Paul murphy Member

Thank you for your help

7. Paul murphy

Paul murphy Member

Thank you for your help.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you posted photographs of your piece here, perhaps someone will recognize the designer.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Paul murphy

Paul murphy Member

I have 3 pieces that I have been gifted so I will add all 3 when I get a min ute to see if anyone can help, thank you.

10. Paul murphy

Paul murphy Member

Any one have any idea on dates or manufacture please?

Attached Files:

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Most of us here are in the US, so not well versed in British furniture. I see it says 60s in the listing. I would have thought a bit older, late 40s-50s based on what I have learned from others in the group. Certainly nothing even remotely like this made in the US post-WWII.

12. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Very stylish, and much older than the 60s. Nice veneer. I'd say maybe postwar make of a prewar design, with slight changes.

13. Paul murphy

Paul murphy Member

Yes, it was 24 hours away from going in the skip! Few weeks it will be like new and ready for a new home. Thank you for your response.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. Paul murphy

Paul murphy Member

Yes I paid £10 for it, he hadn't had any one could collect it so he was going to put it in the skip.. Luckily I got it before he did

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not very helpful but according to the BSI web site... The name British Standards Institution was adopted in 1931. Their symbol is called the Kitemark.

From Wikipedia.org:

"For the next few decades, the use of Kitemark was largely limited to technical and engineering applications up until the 1950s when the boom in consumer products led to increased concern about product safety. By the 1960s the Kitemark was being used to identify safe products in areas such as nightwear, domestic furniture, pressure cookers and motorcycle helmets."

This could mean that your piece is post-World War II.

Debora

17. Paul murphy

Paul murphy Member

Thank you Deborah. I don't think I will get to the bottom of finding out the exact date so once it's ready to sell I will list it as a mid century cocktail cabinet... Or words to that effect

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I can't access this publication in full but -- and I could be wrong -- it appears to assign BS 2084 a 1954 date.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 9.04.58 AM.png

Draft saved Draft deleted