Leiber bag: unusual surface pattern --Not leather?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by antique85, Jul 16, 2021.

1. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I was looking closely at this bag, and just noticed it has an unusual "criss-cross?" pattern ingrained into it. I have never seen leather with such a pattern. Is it possible it could be something other than leather such as snake skin? Although I posted about this bag back in March--and am very appreciative of the excellent information the experts explained about this bag-- I just saw this pattern now. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. criss cross.jpg criss cross2.jpg front JL.jpg

laura9797 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. antique85

Debora and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-7-16_21-37-33.jpeg

the background is cross hatching..

bobsyouruncle and antique85 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Rembrandt in cross hatch.

Debora

26f7962f9c48a4fee2a79d07a012c256.jpg

laura9797 and antique85 like this.
  6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Please take the bag to a shoemaker/cobbler. I have never seen vintage Leiber stamped leathers. When her bags appear to be exotic, in my experience they always are exotic and that bag looks more like Karung (a large water snake) than cross hatching to me. I could definitely be wrong and would need to handle the bag to be sure but it looks too irregular to my eye to be treated leather.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From a quick internet search, it appears she did use karung but, to my eye, that's not it.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

antique85 and reader like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I agree that it doesn’t look exactly like karung or lizard but i do think the bag needs to be checked as I don’t think it’s textured leather. Any shoemaker will know and if I’m wrong the poster has wasted a bit of time as opposed to misidentifying the material. I think it is an exotic but I am not 100%. Again, i have never seen a vintage textured leather Leiber and I’ve seen and have owned a ton of them.

10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That’s definitely the same material. I’ve never seen that. I know if it were mine I’d still get it checked.

11. antique85

Thank you everyone for your informative and thoughtful responses. I have looked very closely at the bag and noticed on the top area there is a different pattern more like a snake pattern. I will be posting some photos of some closeups showing this different pattern. Thank you for alerting me to that it may be Karung or lizard because I assume that may make it worth more. I would very much like to have it checked but there is no shoemaker in my area, so I am not sure what to do.

12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Honestly the value IMO is not going to significantly change on material although I guess an exotic has a bit more value than a leather. The value is that it’s Leiber. I had no idea that she used textured leathers but either way just let a shoemaker look at it.

13. antique85

Thank you for taking the time to reply--especially Reader and Debora. Of course I am very curious to find out the material after reading your informative posts--especially Reader's post that she " has never seen a vintage Textured leather Leiber"! Unfortunately, I do not have a shoemaker within 1 hour, so I am still thinking what to do.

I have posted some close up pics here where I think the pattern is karung or lizard.

It was especially helpful to learn that the value would not be significantly more if is a Karung or Lizard because the real value is that it is a Leiber --and I assume an early 1960s Leiber.

in my earlier thread: "https://www.antiquers.com/threads/judith-leiber-bag-any-info-appreciated.59646/page-2"Reader had suggested the I describe it as "Rare Vintage 1960s Judith Leiber Black Leather ("or skin") Purse Handbag." I have a feeling--even if it is Karung or Lizard-- it is not worth much at best $300

snakeskin3.jpg snakeskin5.jpg --especially because it is in pre-owned condition with some slight issues? Do you think $300 is about right.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

i can’t price your bag but if it is textured leather IMO you’re not going to see $300 but that’s just my opinion. If you want to sell it and do not want to put more time into you could list it as Vintage 60s Judith Leiber Black Texture Handbag Gold Tone Hardware. Put a happy price on it with a Best Offer and see what flies. Although Leather usually refers to a cow, all skins are leathers whether they be goat, cow, crocodile, alligator etc. so you can just call it leather. I looked on a larger screen and Debra is correct that the pattern is too regular to be karung or snake so it probably is not an exotic but one way or another it’s still a leather so you can sell it without actually knowing what it is since you’ve got no one to easily take it to.

antique85 likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you go to therealreal.com and see what prices have been set for the comparable Judith Leiber bags on offer. That's probably the top of the market. Then look at poshmark.com and Completed listings on eBay.

Debora

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    reader and antique85 like this.
  16. antique85

Debora: Thank you for the suggestion to do searches on the sites listed below. One thing that is interesting (even when searching on google images) is I have never seen another bag that looks like this one. So I am going to use the word "rare" in the description.

reader likes this.
  17. antique85

Reader: That is excellent advice as I do not want to put more time into it.
    I am thinking of first trying around $300--as is with defects.

reader likes this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but... I think "rare" is an overstatement (especially when dealing with Leiber who designed elaborate, evening bags in small editions.) The top of the market for similar bags seems to be $350. Here's one recently sold on eBay for $359 in "as new" condition with original box. Yours is a more traditional shape which makes it less desirable and in somewhat less than pristine condition. Both of these effect value.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2652372944...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

antique85 likes this.
  19. antique85

Debora: You are so knowledgeable; it is really amazing: I would never realize the bag's shape makes it less desirable. The bag on ebay you posted is beautiful. I doubt I will get $300. You are right: "Rare" is the wrong word: What I am trying to articulate is that --"I have not seen another one of these bags online."

20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

With respect to Debora, I think the bag is relatively rare and that’s a completely legal term to use although I agree that it’s so overused that it’s relatively worthless but again, I do consider it to be “rare”. You know my feelings on value so hope I’m wrong. BTW what is the clasp shape? Whatever it is, if you can identify it you’ll have another keyword which should be used.

Draft saved Draft deleted