Latest finds by the river..

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Niczn, Nov 13, 2023.

1. Niczn

Niczn Member

Some more items found by the river (UK, Yorkshire) - Most of them were submerged just below the surface near tree roots and sand. Quite lucky I saw them but still a shame they're not complete, seems to be a recurring pattern along this stretch of water.

I'm very interested to figure out the full word around the broken bottle base. All I can see is "RRACLOUCH" - The first R is cut off just where the break is. Anyone know what the complete word could be?

As for the pottery item with the ribbed like design inside, it resembles a bottle design that "say_it_slowly" posted on my previous thread, at least when it was fully intact. But any ideas on it's age based on the form?

Thank you all as always!
    IMG_7085.jpeg IMG_7086.jpeg IMG_7087.jpeg IMG_7080.jpeg IMG_7081.jpeg IMG_7084.jpeg IMG_7076.jpeg IMG_7079.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hi there

it would had said Barraclough, im sure ive got a bottle with it somewhere, the c before the h is a g

Niczn, Figtree3, Boland and 3 others like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

the pottery fragments are probably around the same age as the glass fragment, probably a late victorian, early 20th tip or dumpsite nearby on the beach which used to be quite common

if you look on an old map of your area sometimes the dumpsites are marked, and there could be intact bottles a little bit deeper down in the sand

Niczn, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot more fun than Golf (IMHO),and you still get your steps in.

Niczn, bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh, look....little pieces of broken crap !!:meh:

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Little bits of mysterious crap!

7. Niczn

Niczn Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond, this is most helpful! I'm glad someone knew the text on the bottle. Thanks again.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  8. Niczn

Niczn Member

Sorry you feel that way, Have a great day :)

9. Niczn

Niczn Member

It's a shame you see it that way, have a great day :)

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

(I think some if the comments were made in jest);)

Stoneware bottles and jars were used for various things. You don't mention the size but as examples, this are my little collection of inkwell / ink bottles and a master ink bottle. They range in base diameter from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" for the widest flared example.

The larger covered jar on the right would have been used for other things.

You might also look at ginger beer stoneware bottles and the like.

20231128_081555.jpg 20231128_081549.jpg

11. Niczn

Niczn Member

What a great collection, at least they're all intact! I'm yet to be so lucky finding such a piece that can be displayed. Thanks again for your ongoing information and knowledge!

12. bosko69

Niczn- You'll have much better chances of finding intact bottles & sometimes coins if you dig old privies and trash dumps.The tidal action of bays and rivers shred most ceramics .Bronze age swords may survive,but dredging all 346 km length of the Thames could get a tad pricey ;) !

13. Niczn

Niczn Member

That's a great point! I'm very much new to this so only searching the local river shores but you're absolutely right, most of the ceramics are already destroyed when I find them :( - It's unfortunate my discoveries aren't of great value.. yet!

14. bosko69

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Niczn and charlie cheswick like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted