Larkin Chautauqua Desk - Factory No. 5

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Garvin Eastman, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Garvin Eastman

Garvin Eastman New Member

I'm researching values for this Larkin "premium" desk and am also interested in production numbers by year. I've found asking prices ranging from $750 to $300. I'll post some pics of my particular piece later today. Thanks for any info you might be able to share.

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My name is Larkin and I have collected Larkin products for 50 years. John D.Larkin is the founder of the Larkin soap company out of Buffalo N.Y. in 1875-1940.( they also are connected to Buffalo pottery)So you know it falls into that range. The premiums I believe did not come out until they started the mail order groceries. Look up J. D. Larkin in Wikipediae and I think your desk was offered as a premium in 1890. I have a kitchen cabinet and a trunk with the Larkin label. Those are the only furniture items I have. Larkin Street on Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco is named after him.

3. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

When it comes to value, I think auction results provide the most accurate picture, as depressing as that often is. Liveauctioneers.com has around 160 sales results under "Larkin desk". While this one pictured sold for $800, most were in the $100-$300 range, with around 60 going for under $100. larkin.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted