Featured Large Wood framed glass display cabinet/case

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Cervorn, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Cervorn

Cervorn Member

Large Wood framed glass display cabinet/case

Accessed by a removable glass sliding top (not pictured), have been unable to find other examples that are the same

Construction seems to be joinery including 'mitered butt' and 'mortise and tenon', and small pins / nails

Size: L 28" x W 10" x H 23" (base is a little longer and wider)

Thinking its original purpose was to display a model ship or some taxidermy?

Is the timber oak or mahogany? Or perhaps something else?

Any rough idea of age and or value?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Cervorn

Cervorn Member

Thanks while these are definitely very similar, they appear to be more modern takes, mine uses joinery and pin construction, unlike the examples you shared, mine is lacking a felt bottom (and shoes no signs of previously have one) and mine is glass and not plexiglass (the examples shown states that they cannot supply a glass version)

So perhaps the model I gave is older and even possibly was the inspiration from the seller you shared?

Many thanks

Roaring20s likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Appears to be a type of so-called mahogany. Not the old traditional mahogany but one of the many tropical hardwoods often sold as mahogany. As such, think this is not antique, despite having some age.

Cervorn, Any Jewelry and Roaring20s like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE the top.....with the slide so it can be easily opened!!!!!!!! My oldest brother built a case for a POW bone ship model for my parents, which we ended up with..... but dear Bro built it to NOT OPEN.......and inside had somehow gotten a bit dusty and the glass needed cleaning......It was the DEVIL INCARNATE to take apart from the bottom, no less, while keeping the ship model intact!!!! My language was NOT pleasant!!!!! But DH & I got the job nicely done......after MUCH work!!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    Cervorn likes this.
  6. Cervorn

Cervorn Member

Thanks for the info

komokwa likes this.
  7. Really Old Guy

Really Old Guy New Member

Brad, thanks for pointing the work out. The bottom piece appears to have been chamfered with a wood rasp. It is nice wood, but not mahogany as we know it. Much too coarse a grain.

Draft saved Draft deleted