Featured Large Unglazed Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Aug 18, 2023.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I bought this on eBay as a speculative buy. I thought that I might be able to identify it when it arrived but I’m stumped.

it’s a big piece standing 31cm (one foot) tall and is hand made and unglazed.

It could be ethnic or maybe studio pottery.

No maker’s mark.

Any ideas?

IMG_2263.jpeg IMG_2264.jpeg IMG_2268.jpeg IMG_2267.jpeg IMG_2276.jpeg

Figtree3, komokwa, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Likely Indonesian.

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

No ideas...but a bit of lust. Nice find, John!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with Brad, looks Indonesian. Incised motifs, leaves, tumpals (those elongated triangular shapes symbolizing sacred mountains), are all features of Indonesian pottery.
    Really nice find, John.

Figtree3, kentworld and John Brassey like this.
  5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

If you look deep inside with a flashlight (being careful not to chip the rim) does it look clean inside?

6. John Brassey

Will check that out tomorrow. Out just now,

7. Any Jewelry

It wouldn't have been used. It is decorative.

John Brassey likes this.
  8. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

@John Brassey Nice vase, and off topic, but would love to see that heavy impasto painting that is above it! ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. John Brassey

Scottish Artist David Mackie Cook I’ve got two of his paintings. IMG_2281.png

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

How can you be sure it would never have been used? Decorative vases are used for flowers, etc. all the time. Also if completely clean inside (no dust etc at all) it may be a newer vase. Colors seem very bright and condition looks very good. Just looking for clues.

11. Any Jewelry

It is modeled after a storage jar, not after a vase. So a decorative storage jar, and I meant not used to store rice etc in. And sure, some people put flowers in every kind of container, but that isn't the use most people think of when considering use of a storage jar.
    Since it isn't glazed, not on the inside either, you might have to waterproof it before you put water in it though, if you really want to put flowers in it.;)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    Figtree3 and John Brassey like this.
  12. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

His technique captures the rough texture of the Scottish landscape. Nice!

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted