Featured Large signed brooch, please help identify maker

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    The attached is a signed brooch, bought as sterling silver, however is not hallmarked, which is very strange. I have not tested it, the dealer I bought it from is usually testing his items. It is very large approximately 15 centimetres. Stones looks like cats eye effect.
    Any idea of the makers name and maybe age/ style? Any links I can read about it?
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona 47F32B32-F0AD-41FE-9932-A7E3E273A8E2.jpeg C1C7E0E3-B185-4852-8109-370CA99AB846.jpeg 2D9670D1-505C-406A-9E4A-368D53802137.jpeg
    @Any Jewelry @Bronwen @PepperAnna @Ownedbybear

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Tomeco Slovaquie?

3. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

There was a thread about the Tomeco stamp on one of the Facebook groups, I’ll try to find it.

Figtree3, Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

TOMECO is what I see.

Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think it says Tcheco. I've seen and own a lot of stuff with a Tcheco and then some variant of Slovakie/Slovaquie or whatever mark. Not just jewellery either. There's speculation that a pseudo French spelling was used to seem a bit classy. You get it on glass quite often. I've seen Tzecho too, and Czecho.

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like reticulated silver 800/830 usually used and then chased for the deeper designs.

laura9797, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, I won't argue as to which it says, although I agree with Tomeco, but can you read what it says where I've outlined in RED??? Maybe not pertinent at all..... starts with a D I believe and ends with a T....SO hard to make it stand out!!!

2D9670D1-505C-406A-9E4A-368D53802137-A.jpg

laura9797, KSW, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  11. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Makes sense. At least more sense than Tomeco as Tchecoslovaquie is the French spelling of Czechoslovakia. There is also an worthpoint entry that claims that it was a brand of Czech jewelry to be imported in France for French customers (spelt Tomeco)
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/brooch-tomeco-slovaquie-vintage-465252676

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That says Deposee, as in registered.

Do not get me started on the world of urban myths and imagination spread by sellers.

laura9797, Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  13. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Well, I just reason that putting this stamp in a French way does have practical advantages for the items exported to France. Cannot judge about the reasons behind this decision on behalf of the makers but whatever they were, the important IMO is that it is IDed as Czech and between the two wars.

Draft saved Draft deleted