Large Religious Antique Cameo

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kraftblue, Dec 16, 2015.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

This possibly belonged to my Great Grandmother. Measures 2 1/4" x 1 3/4". Biggest cameo I have seen. The mark looks mis-formed? Does it look familiar to anyone?

cameo1.JPG cameo2.JPG cameo3.JPG cameo4.JPG cameo.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. kraftblue

I should say there is no tarnish but it looks silver. No polish residue. Could this me white gold maybe? Mark might be upside down..

KingofThings likes this.
  3. kraftblue

Flipped.

cameo.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No clue on the markings. If the setting is American it might not have a gold mark; makers have never been required to use one, and often older manufacturers didn't bother. The shell cameo itself is most likely Italian; most of them still are. The setting looks like something out of the 50s, as does the Madonna image. Does that fit with something great-grandma could have owned?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. kraftblue

They were German so I am wondering, maybe this is German related or maybe could be American..

KingofThings likes this.
  7. evelyb30

Could be. On the other hand, the Italians exported carved cameos all over the place. It may well have been purchased there, and the case could have been made there too; it would explain the lack of Italian hallmarks.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. kraftblue

Thanks for all the suggestions...gonna take my time with this one.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The cameo was almost certainly carved in or around Naples. Tens or hundreds of thousands were exported all over Europe, so the frames came from all over. That mark is annoyingly familiar. Feh.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. kraftblue

Owned, my mother says she took it to a jeweler years ago, told her it was worth $500. Going to take it to a jeweler myself to see what the metal actually is. Even in the little groves around the edge there is no tarnish at all.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Kraftblue, please update this thread on what you find. I love cameos.

12. kraftblue

I took this to a jeweler. He said maybe it dates to the 30's. Cameo is Italian and was carved by a Master. (he explained apprentices and masters) Said It is most likely white gold with some silver so it could be workable. A bench piece could have a few different metals in it. Just wish the mark wasn't blurred.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. evelyb30

I think he's a little early on the date, not that it matters. The only place it's going is around your neck.

14. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Said It is most likely white gold with some silver so it could be workable.

To me it sounds as if he was making it up as he went along. This phrase is nonsense.

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm with af. White gold and silver as a mix is sheer fantasy. I don't credit the master carer thing either - the carvers I saw in Naples were simply talented craftspeople.

16. evelyb30

They do sometimes mix a little silver into gold alloys, but it's generally copper or something else. White gold generally doesn't from what I remember, but you never know what some random bench jeweler will do.

17. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  18. kraftblue

Interesting link afantiques. Going to get a 2nd opinion on it.

19. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Did the jewelers actually test it?

20. kraftblue

Mill Cove, no.

Draft saved Draft deleted