Large pantry dry goods box, unusual paint, age/origin help ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Calico, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone, I'm hoping you folks can give me an idea as to age and origin of this pantry dry goods box. I've never seen one quite like this, it's made to look like it's several stacked boxes but it's all one piece. At first I thought it was covered in wallpaper but it seems to be painted with a great golden paint and then decals ? I do think the paint is original. I assume the '5' stands for 5 gallon capacity, it measures 12" x 12".
    I thought maybe Pennsylvania but that's just a guess.
    Any thoughts ?
    BTW, the picture showing the inside of the lid has a partial sticker from an antique store this must have been for sale at once, (why they would apply a sticker to this is beyond me) but it was there when I bought this from a consignment store.
    Lot's of close-up pics below.
    box1.jpg box2.jpg box3.jpg box4.jpg box5.jpg box6.jpg box7.jpg box8.jpg box9.jpg box12.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Two more.
    box10.jpg box11.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have strange thoughts about this. The staples puzzle me since my two old pantry boxes have tiny copper nails. It just seems to be too evenly stained. I have seen so many "faux" boxes that just seem so fake. Yours is well done but I have a hard time with that even dicoloration. I hope someone proves me wrong.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg, that's why I posted, to get all thoughts. Thank you ! :happy:

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I'm puzzled by it also. I have an old firkin that has similar staples sooo they don't surprised me, but the stacked cheese box look is something I haven't seen before. I really don't know if this old or was made to look old.

Edit: The box may be old, but in the 1950s it might have been decorated/stenciled when that look was very popular.

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think it is an old shipping box and agree that the decoration was applied later. The decoration has good age to it so think the 50s assumption is a good one.

7. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you Susan and Brad, I appreciate the help. :happy:

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted