Large Made in France Planter - Tin Glazed?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Apr 9, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

IMG_20150409_112544264.jpg IMG_20150409_112607136.jpg IMG_20150409_112623391.jpg IMG_20150409_112632508.jpg Hello everybody! I bought this at an auction the other day and am hoping someone can tell me more about it. It's about 13" long including the handle and about 5 1/4" at its widest. It's 4 3/4" tall. The only mark is Made in France on the base and the letter N. I'm a sucker for Made in France pieces but I haven't run across one like this before. The glaze is very smooth and has a slightly metallic ring to it. Any help on maker, age, region, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Don

View attachment 12805 View attachment 12806 View attachment 12807

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Don,
    I am not getting an old vibe on this piece. It is so shiny and light I am thinking brand new. I think i would like it better if the pink was more "purplely".
    It is just my feeling no clues to make a judgement call.:sorry:
    greg

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Greg - I think you're probably right about it being a newer piece. I did have to clean it up a bit - there was florist clay and a lot of dirt. It's been washed twice and could still use another go. I thought the motif in the decorations, though, might be a clue to its origins. Thanks for your thoughts! Don

4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about this kind of stuff.....that being said, the decoration is giving me a Delft Vibe. Is there such a thing as French Delft?

dgbjwc likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

In France tin glazed (Delft) is usually known as faience. N for Nevers maybe? Looks new to me too, of course I have mostly 18th C tin-glazed so a lot looks new by comparison. ;)

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted