Featured Large Hollow Vermeil Cross Pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Mar 23, 2024.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I picked this up at a charity shop thinking it was gold plated and missing most of its plate but I do like saving a waif and stray for £1. Apologies for the unprofessional photos, I wasn’t expecting to share the before ones.
    IMG_4489.jpeg IMG_4488.jpeg
    Anyway, out of the ugly duckling a swan emerged!

IMG_4498.jpeg IMG_4500.jpeg IMG_4499.jpeg IMG_4503.jpeg IMG_4502.jpeg IMG_4501.jpeg
    IMG_4504.jpeg IMG_4496.jpeg
    Under all that black tarnish, which is still work in progress, was shiny gold. I’ve tested it and the very bottom by the vent hole it tests as silver and you can see the solder lines on either side, the rest tests as 9ct so I’m presuming vermeil?
    The blob on the back looks like a BC and I’ve had zero luck trying to find the maker.
    I’ve seen this shape described as Gothic and Orthodox, is that correct?
    I found one on line which is very similar but they say 9ct but I suspect that may be wishful thinking. Would this be late 19th C?
    It’s c2” long and came with the chain which isn’t gold or silver but looks to have a pretty old spring ring. Any thoughts please
    :)
    Thankyou

Figtree3, kyratango, stracci and 9 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Dunno about crosses...but that's a real nice one!

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I know! Thankyou :) I started polishing and was very surprised!

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Could it be RG = Rolled Gold

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I thought so too to begin with but it’s definitely a B not a sloppy R.

Chinoiserie and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. daveydempsey

BG then = Bonded Gold

Figtree3, bercrystal and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Did you see this ?
    It would depend on the BG mark. There are four possible jewelry company makers. If it`s a BG inside an oval it is English make rBert Gordon, (Birmingham 1974 hallmark). If it`s a BG & Co mark inside an oval the makers are Britton, Gould & Co (Birmingham 1938 hallmark). The last 2 possibilities are Boardman, Glossop & Co Ltd and Birmingham Guild of Handicraft Ltd. These are all English Jewelry Makers or Company. To check on the mark on your jewelry, check this link: http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilvermarksXBGGG.html hope this helps!

Read more: What does BG mean on a gold hallmark? - What does BG stamp mean on a gold watch chain :: Ask Me Fast at https://www.askmefast.com/What_does_BG_mean_on_a_gold_hallmark-qna7414505.html

8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

The first letter could also be an 'E'. I love your
    The first letter could also be an 'E'. I love your solid gold ruler

Houseful likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for looking Johnny :kiss:I’m not convinced it’s a G though…..I’ll get a better photo.

Chinoiserie and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve got a better photo and it’s definitely a B. Daveys bonded gold idea makes sense but that doesn’t look like a G.
    lol, I wish! I could almost retire on that if it were!
    I decided I needed an upgrade from my daughter’s Peppa Pig ruler which had done good service but she said wasn’t giving the professional image. Couldn’t see what was wrong with it myself :rolleyes:

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Forgot the photo….
    IMG_4521.jpeg

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh goodness ! I REALLY need to upgrade my glasses ! Ive been way off lately !

KSW and Chinoiserie like this.
  13. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

thats a really hard one to tell what it is made from
    i almost wanted to question if it opened or not because of the thickness of it and the seam
    £1 is a no brainer because it is interesting looking
    wonder if it is an anecclesiastical type thing

KSW and Chinoiserie like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

My fault, I should have put a decent photo in at the beginning.
    It doesn’t open but I agree with you and did look twice to make sure because it’s so thick.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A beautiful trefoil cross, K.:happy:
    I would have guessed 19th century because 19th Century gold and gilded jewellery is often hollow. Precious metals were more rare than they are now. (Not as many mines.)
    I agree with it being vermeil in those countries that accept vermeil as using a low fineness gold, so it is OK to call it vermeil in the UK.

The shape as such is a trefoil cross, my favourite cross shape.:) Some people call it a button cross or a budded cross. All these terms refer to the shape with the three rounded shapes at the end.

As far as I know it is used by all Roman and Eastern Catholic denominations, which include the Orthodox churches. In Catholicism the three 'buds' sybolize the Holy Trinity.
    I can see why someone would call it Gothic, with those trefoil shapes. But it is pre-Gothic, it has its origins in pre-Christian times. In pre-Christian Europe the three buds stood for earth, sky and water.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You are such a font of knowledge AJ! Thankyou :kiss:
    Are there any indications as to which country could have made it or is it pretty generic?

kyratango, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

That....looks like a reverse impression of a BG to me. Especially with the B having the smaller rounded part on the "bottom"... That's usually on the top. :cyclops: I've also not seen a "C" with that sorta chunkiness on the top.

Figtree3, johnnycb09, KSW and 3 others like this.
  18. daveydempsey

19. Any Jewelry

The style is pretty generic, but since it is 9ct vermeil I think it is British.

kyratango, johnnycb09 and KSW like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Yes, it does. Maybe we should look at it from the inside.:wacky::playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted