Featured Large glass divided platter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Sep 8, 2024.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I bought this because I had never seen it before. A couple are on-line without correct attribution. One identified as Manhattan, which it is not. 14" diameter. Center portion is deeper than the rest of the platter, floating the wide outer rim and inch or so off the table. Nice elegant design. Any idea?

20240908_164916~2.jpg 20240908_165330~2.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

chips & dip....I luv it !!!

Figtree3 and verybrad like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Sep 8, 2024
    Figtree3, verybrad, Marote and 10 others like this.
  4. verybrad

I saw the listing but the photo was cut off in my phone and could not see the chrome base. Thought the title might have been wrong. Would be pretty nifty with the rotating base. I got this at Goodwill a few weeks ago. Knowing them, they probably had the base priced separately elsewhere. It certainly was not anywhere near the tray.

Any consensus whether this is modern or older? I saw at least one seller listing it as depression glass but not any I know. It is heavy as heck. Probably twice the weight of a comparably sized Manhattan platter I have.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It may not have even beenin the same store.Or been sent to the bins. They're not too bright.

Figtree3, Roshan Ko and verybrad like this.
  6. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Anchor Hocking Manhattan pattern but the center is different.

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I think it's likely 70s or 80s, but no later. Lazy susans were mostly used during that timeframe. It's really nice with the base attached. It may have had a specific use since there are 3 sections and that wide circular area for crackers maybe. The center for spreadables??

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It just occurred to me that it was maybe used for meats and cheeses. I remember those where you pick up a little ham, a little roast beef, a little cheese and maybe some mayo in the middle and make a sandwich. The outer rim is large and the middle sections are small so chip/dip is not a likely use. The chips would fall off the edge.

It reminds me of the type of wares made by glass factories that mainly made commercial lens for lights and such with the thick heavy glass. The Holophane Co. in Newark Ohio is one example. They made both commercial glass lens and molded art glass. But not this item.

9. verybrad

It has a pretty good lip on it so nothing falling off too easily. besides the uses suggested above, would make a good crudite platter. If I did the entertaining that I used to do, I would probably keep this for use. Have several Manhattan serving pieces I have used in the past and this would fit in. As it is, I will probably be selling this before long. Will probably wait to closer to the holiday season before taking it in.

Figtree3, say_it_slowly and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

find the base, if'n u can !!

Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted