Featured Large Coral Disc in Brass Fish-Themed Pendant, Apparently Asian

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Jan 3, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The story goes like this: I apparently gave this to my eldest granddaughter...although I not only have no recollection of such giving, an' even more surprisingly no memory of ever possessing the pendant! I love the person dearly, but I don't believe if I had owned it, I'd have passed it on to her. Anyway...

The coral is ~1 3/8" diameter; the pendant is ~3" tall & ~2 1/8" across the fish; the pendant weighs one ounce.

Aside from that lovely chunk of coral, the back, with its pair of geese or ducks, is most fascinating to me! The joining of the back with the bezel for the coral an' the high-relief, hollow fish is very finely done, with no evidence of ordinary solder...the color of brass is uniform at that edge-seam, with no hint of how the joint was accomplished. There is considerable wear across the back...from textile an'/or human skin, over time. Also of interest is the small central features on the face of the coral, tho' I can't say with any confidence what it may represent.

Perhaps some of you with superior experience an' skills in Asian jewelry will be able to tell what I (or Elizabeth) have here? Thanks for lookin'!

P1400010.jpeg P1400013.jpeg P1400012.jpeg P1400014.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

has a Japanese vibe to it..

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

My initial thought was Chinese...but now wouldn't be surprised to learn one of the Himalayan countries was the origin. @Any Jewelry will surely spot it accurately.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@wlwhittier, on the back of that pendant, where I've circled, in the upper one - it looks sort of like a mark or might be saying 7K---BUT might just be the goose's eye!! In the lower circle I thought it said 77, but on enlargement it sort of partially disappeared.......

brooch-1.jpg

Brooch-ENLRGD.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's the pin that holds the 2 parts together.

kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Chinese or Himalayan.

wlwhittier, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Probably Nepali. The coral is dyed. It probably has many siblings.

Bronwen, Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I was thinking Indian but Nepal makes sense.

Bronwen, wlwhittier and kyratango like this.
  9. wlwhittier

Nope...a 10X triplet puts the lie to that; it's simply a deeply stamped circular punch-mark.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. wlwhittier

Thanks...I like the Nepali origin. Is your clue to it being dyed the worn spot at 9 o'clock, where white shines through?
    What do you mean by 'many siblings'...is it a 'mass' produced pattern? Can you offer an approximate age for the piece, AJ? Any thoughts about the centerpiece on the coral...or the fish...in terms of significance?

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

The general look as well as the artificial red colour, unlike natural coral. It is probably bamboo coral, naturally white, that has been dyed. Not precious coral.
    Yes, mass produced.
    Fairly recent. Similar pieces are still being made, probably the same ones too. It is an industry that I don't follow, so I don't know the exact designs, just the general look and materials used.

Red coral, and the colour red in general, is connected with feminine qualities of any kind in Himalayan culture. A bit like Yin in Chinese culture.
    Nepali spirituality is a mostly mix of Hinduism and Buddhism.
    The fish in this case is a Hindu symbol. It is the symbol of Matsya, the first avatar of Vishnu, but also of water, which is life giving, cleansing, and ever flowing, and of fertility, abundance and beauty.

komokwa, Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  12. wlwhittier

Thank you sincerely for a most comprehensive response to my many questions, AJ! I am grateful!

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

You're welcome, whit.

Draft saved Draft deleted