Large Brass Repousse Log (?) Box or Trunk?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by laura9797, Feb 27, 2022.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine asked me what my thoughts were on a large brass repousse hinged box. Top features what looks like a Don Quixote scene but the front panel has a figure on a sled being pulled by a reindeer (St. Nick marybox.jpg marybox2.jpg marybox3.jpg marybox4.jpg marybox5.jpg marybox6.jpg marybox7.jpg marybox8.jpg ?). The berried foliage looks familiar - not sure if those are supposed to be grapes. Bail handles on the sides. I am at a loss. I have sold smaller coal boxes but the motif was country scenes or tavern scenes and this one is large - I didn't have a tape measure handy. Backside has screws replaced on hinge and the interior had a place for chains to attach to lid. I have seen the larger ones called log boxes or is it just a trunk? Is it Dutch - could it be Spanish or French?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    Boland, NewEngland and Darkwing Manor like this.
  2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Something about this says hobbyist done to me. Maybe made as a Christmas present? A lot of work went into this, and the work is competent.

laura9797 likes this.