Large antique 19th century Venetian mirror

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Henry SJ, May 2, 2023.

1. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

F30F6DDC-7900-46DC-8099-350EF8EBDED8.jpeg 908F57DE-C666-4313-BAB4-A3F79AE21D7B.jpeg 17E5DD78-1508-4E63-B633-BD24DB479F00.jpeg B099165A-53A0-455A-9706-09CFA77A4619.jpeg B099165A-53A0-455A-9706-09CFA77A4619.jpeg Hello all
    I’ve recently stumbled upon this amazing looking grand mirror in a Spanish antique store. It will be fully restored to an excellent level and potentially shipped to the UK. it’s hand carved wood and will be repaired with original materials. It looks like a truly special piece but will be very expensive to import so I was looking for its value. Thanks in advance 24AD60D7-9348-4D94-8D69-CBBBDDCF6FBE.jpeg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1st rule of shooting photo's at a mirror..........don't....or at least make sure your zipper is up..........
    hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!1

BoudiccaJones and Henry SJ like this.
  3. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Hahaha, I was going to blur out the legs but thought it would be pointless

komokwa likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Henry SJ !
    We generally don't guess values or selling prices here, but sometimes somebody will come up with a comparable online, or will give you some key words to search. Nice mirror!

Henry SJ, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The glass isn't bevelled, so the mirror proper is a replacement, but not the right one.
    If you are going to have the frame restored, it is best to put a bevelled mirror in as well.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Expensive to import because of the shipping cost? Maybe leave the glass behind? It's a significant portion of the weight, and I agree that it's a replacement. But then maybe the cost of a new mirror would outweigh the increased shipping cost with the present one.

I don't see this as being particularly Venetian, but don't know what else to call it. I think of Venetian mirrors as having glass frames rather than wood.

7. Any Jewelry

They made many of these gilded wood frame mirrors, probably still do.

My parents had a Venetian mirror with the same flower petal frame (my term), but without the other embellishments. They probably bought it new in the late 50s- early 60s, but it did have bevelled glass.

8. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

So new the glass needs to be left behind?

komokwa likes this.
  9. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Yeh the shipping fees are bad but the import taxes are the worst so need to be extra careful before we buy anything. I agree that most Venetian mirrors are different but most wooden mirrors have a style similar to this from Venice, at least in my very limited experience.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Fantastic, mainly looking for expertise.

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

No idea of the age of the replacement, but it isn't the right glass. This frame had a bevelled mirror, which means the glass had sloping sides.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sometimes the importation situation changes if you are dealing with declared antiques. Might be worth looking into.

komokwa likes this.
  13. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

So it’s actually for cost efficient to remove the glass and remove the heavy glass and have it replaced to be more accurate at home?

komokwa likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I have no idea about cost efficiency for you, I live in the Netherlands so my situation is entirely different. You will have to calculate what is best in your situation.

komokwa, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice mirror. Not finding anything quite like it despite having just browsed through a few hundred mirrors. Agree that the mirror is a replacement but do not think the original was necessarily beveled. If old enough, the mirrors were plain edged thick plate glass. Beveled glass mirrors were a later 19th century addition. Values seem to be all over the place for anything even remotely similar. I do think we are at least in the high hundreds to just over $1000.00, in this condition. Restored, it could be worth double that, or more.

Here is the closest comparable I could find. I think the question mirror is, potentially, better once restored. It sold for £650, at auction.

A 19th Century Italian Gilt Framed Mirror, - Sep 12, 2019 | Cheffins In United Kingdom (liveauctioneers.com)

16. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Fair enough, would you recommend I get the glass replaces with sloping edges tho?

komokwa likes this.
  17. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

Wow thank you very much, the fact I couldn’t find anything like it is exactly what drew my attention to it in the first place, the issue is the price and huge size. It would be fully restored with original materials (not the glass) to a very high standard by a 4th generation professional restorer.

18. Any Jewelry

I would.

komokwa likes this.
  19. Henry SJ

Henry SJ Member

I agree it would make it even more beautiful but I imagine would come at a great cost. I’ve also heard from another member it may not have had sloping edges, so I’ll have to wait a bit.

komokwa likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Once it is yours, it is your decision to make, we can only advise you to the best of our ability and knowledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted