Featured Large 38" garden vases, majolica?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by anundverkaufen, Jul 5, 2017.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Bought a pair of these huge and very heavy vases, what would you call them? I've searched high and low with all kinds of different terms (garden, floor, palace etc.) and can't find any like them. They're 38" tall and weigh about 70 lbs each. Made with reddish terra-cotta clay with a majolica like glaze with line decorated birds and sprigs and with drain holes in the bottom. The only mark is a 36 in a circle inside the top of one of them. Any help and opinions appreciated.
    IMG_2272.JPG
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    IMG_2275.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think they're Chinese. We've a local emporium which sells similar and they're not cheap.

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  3. anundverkaufen

That's what thought too but looking through the internet I can't find any similar, even at import garden supply stores.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

They may be older. I've some similar dragon pots bought new about forty years ago, pre interweb.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That number looks older to me, agree these have some age. Wondering, could they be from the late 1800's, early 1900's?

I looked online too --nothing remotely similar.

They are absolutely fantastic. Beautifully done, and pleasing to the eye. I would think have some significant value. Probably an auction house item.

Maybe others will have thoughts about origin.

What a nice find!

6. anundverkaufen

Thanks Lucille, I get the feeling they're older too and definitely going to the auction house, haven't decided on taking them to Boston or just let en ride in Sandwich. There's a high end consignment shop in Plymouth that wants them but they don't know anything about them and probably would sell them too cheap.
    If they were white, blue or gray I'd keep them, this brown just doesn't look good on our gray and white porch.

judy, Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

The pottery who made something slightly like that here was Brannam/Barum, but those are far too big.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Generally call large pairs of Asian vases Temple vases. Can't think these are terribly old with that #36 impressed. Also, adjacent clay looks too new. Are these unglazed inside? Would expect old ones to have glazed interiors.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

sorry I don't know anything about them but I do agree with Lucille, fantastic pieces!

10. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

Try searches by for red ware or redware. It would fall more into that category than majolica. Majolica generally has a decorated light colored slip covering most of the earthenware clay.

11. Melissa Brown

Ps: I think they're beautiful. Probably 1800's.

12. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Have you considered painting/repainting your porch/house? ;) :rolleyes: :shame:

13. anundverkaufen

Brad, They are not glazed interiors, only the first several inches in from the top, they are really thick walled, at least a couple inches.

Yourturn, We just had the place repainted last year, I would be in the doghouse if I even considered it. :)

Attached Files:

14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

OMG I want that front porch!!!! I really don't want the rest of the house, just the porch. :happy::happy::happy:

Yeah you may get put under the doghouse if you suggested that.. :eek::eek::eek:

15. yourturntoloveit

And now I know why. What a lovely house (and yard from what I can see). ;)

16. anundverkaufen

Here's a shot of the front gate.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    And here's the back yard.
    IMG_2065.JPG

17. yourturntoloveit

Oh my goodness, what a serene place to live and enjoy the surroundings.

18. Melissa Brown

19. anundverkaufen

Just south of Plymouth, Ma.
    Recently returned to here after living in Colorado for 30 years.

20. Melissa Brown

It's beautiful. Really lovely.

Draft saved Draft deleted